1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Cabinet to Add to a Mesa Walkabout Scout?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LiquidFudge, Jan 11, 2014.

1. LiquidFudge

LiquidFudge

Hello,
    Talk Bass is great! I just discovered it about a week ago and lost sleep pouring over all the great information here :) I'm planning to get a new amp and cabinet and looking for some advice.

Some background... I have a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo amp which is 300W, tube pre-amp, and a 12" driver. I love this amp and it is perfect for a lot of situations but I'm now in a group playing more funk/pop and I'm looking for a little more focused punchy sound. I play mostly with my fingers, without distortion, and slap on some songs. I'm thinking about getting another rig to use for larger gigs and keeping the Walkabout for practices and smaller rooms.

I'm pretty set on using either two 2x10" cabinets or one 4x10 cabinet and I'm leaning toward getting a GK MB800 head. I'm almost sure I won't need anything more for the foreseeable future and I really like minimizing hauling gear.

I can't buy a the entire new rig at once so my question is what cabinet could I buy now to use with my walkabout and also use later with a louder GK MB 800? I believe the 12" is a 4 Ohm cabinet and Mesa recommends using another 4 Ohm with it. I'd like to avoid removing the amp so I keep a small portable option available.

Maybe a 4 Ohm 4x10, set my Walkabout on top of it to have a 4x10 + 1x12 (power reduced from 300W to 150W)? Then run the GK MB 800 with the 4x10 4 Ohm cabinet? I could also get a 2x10 4 Ohm now and later use it with another 2x10 4Ohm and the GK head but I think this would result in 2 Ohm total which might be a problem for the GK 800??

2. Crabby

Crabby

Add another Scout cab. I run a pair of them with my Walkabout at 2 ohms. It never gets hot and sounds massive.

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

IME, an efficient 212 will provide more useable volume with the Walkabout than the combo + Scout extension cab.

One of the upright 2x12 designs gives you an easy load in, a footprint no bigger than the WA combo, and much better stage monitoring (more volume from your bass rig, and a dispersion pattern that brings sound closer to your ears than your ankles).

For Walkabout gigs that call for more stage volume than I can get from one combo, I usually go with the WA head into a Berg AE212. My second choice would be a Genz Neox 212. The Berg voicing will sound a bit louder in the mix, but either cab is like having 4x10 performance in a lighter, smaller, taller box.

4. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad