best chorus pedal for flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Nov 18, 2012.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372 Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

i have a boss ceb-3, which has been a suitable sound for a while now, but i'm thinking of venturing into other chorus pedals. as its the only one i've ever tried. now i've been using flatwounds on my basses, and i want to know what chorus pedals people like most with flatwounds.

thanks!

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

My favorite is the TC Corona Chorus. I don't remember if I used it with flats or not, but it works nicely with all of my different basses.

3. BassIsFun17

i might end up getting that one eventually. but for now i just found a good deal on an mxr analog chorus.

4. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

I like the one knob MXR chorus in all applications

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

MXR choruses have a very good rep, although I've never tried my Stereo Chorus on flats. There's a lot of positive feedback on the Analog Chorus and a lot of anticipation on the upcoming bass chorus.

7. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Sorry...I don't mean to seem confused but what are you wanting a chorus to do for flats that it didn't already do?

I own a TC Corona and have had both rounds and flats on my 55-94 and my VJ5 but I didn't notice a change from the pedal as much as a change from the tone of the bass due to the strings...

8. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

I love how chorus sound on my jazz with flats, but I also love chorus on my L2500 with rounds. Lots of diferent love here!

9. BassIsFun17

honestly i'm really asking for other opinions on choruses other than the CEB-3 since thats the only one i've ever used. its not quite lush enough.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Not lush enough? Crank the knobs. It's designed that way, properly, so the fundamental is not chorused so a player still lays down the foundation and the band still knows where the bass is. Too lush, and your band will lose your foundation in a wavy sea of foam.

11. BassIsFun17

i mean i can get it to sound pretty lush if i cut the low filter alot. i'm just interested in try another chorus out, because i've always used the CEB-3 and never really personally heard another chorus. the ceb-3 is definitely not a bad sounding chorus, and i do like it.

12. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I use flats on all my basses these days (P, Musicmaster, & a ShortScale Jazz), and I've just used my CEB-3 or CH-2 like I've done with rounds.

13. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I have the TC Corona...
    Only problem with the Corona is IT IS A BATTERY HOG.. If i run mine on battery alone.. It will not make it through a whole 3 set gig....

14. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I've found the Boss CE-5 to be a little better on bass than the CEB-3.
    I tried the Analogman and was very disapointed, the CE-5 sounded better in a shootout.
    The HBE TCH is a nice unit on bass but nothing beats the CE-5 bang for the buck.

I use Ernie Ball flatwound Group II.

15. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

I use flats and CEB-3 too. Still happy with the result.

Lots of chorus options out there, with MXR and TC Electronics both come first in mind (or probably because most of my friends use them).

Me? I'll stick with my $40 Boss CEB-3, thank you :)

16. smo

smo

IME, Modulation effects don't really care that much about whether you're feeding them a signal from flats or rounds.
    You'll simply get the effect off whatever you feed it, so make sure you keep your EQ knob open.

Flats VS Rounds will change responses in things like Amps, Dirt Pedals and FILTERS, but some of this can be more consistant if you have a compressor and tailor it to each bass you play in any given set.