best combo amp for 5 string.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by owenkillerB5, Jun 24, 2011.

1. owenkillerB5

owenkillerB5

Got a killer b 5 Tobias and wondering what the best combo amp would suit it?
  2. Longhair

Longhair Guest

I have an Ampeg BA-115 that handles the low B string without any problems at bedroom levels. (I never had the need to go above).
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What are you using this for? Bedroom practice, live, etc? How much do you want to spend? What kind of tone are you looking to get?
  4. owenkillerB5

owenkillerB5

I'm needing something for small gigs 50ppl max proboly, small venues.
  5. owenkillerB5

owenkillerB5

Money under a grand
  6. owenkillerB5

owenkillerB5

Tone more of a Dave Matt counting crows type but need to be able to throw down some claypool. Props on that pic of les bro.
  7. Longhair

Longhair Guest

In all honesty, save your money for a head & cab.

It is cheaper in the long run :crying:
  8. owenkillerB5

owenkillerB5

Well we are running through a 1000 watt pa max so I really don't need to drown anyone. I had a acoustic 200 combo and it was decent but really muddy.. I'm thinking GK 200 watt combo 1-15'?
  9. kingjames59

kingjames59

I am extremely interested in this also. What about a GK MB210? It has an extension port to add a 15 if needed.
  10. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

agree
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If a 15 plays nicely with the MB210 then you're good. Better to find out for sure before droppping coin on it.

I play an old trace rig with 15" cab. It does very well on 5 string bass with the really low frequencies chopped down. EQ is everything with a 5 string.

What exactly is in your PA rig? If it's a full noise rig with subwoofers then you don't want to be interfering with the subs by pounding out subbass on the stage anyway.
  12. Sundogue

Sundogue

The best would be a combo of an amphead with a fEARful. Those cabs really handle the low B with great clarity, from low to high volumes. One of the few cabs that don't push the upper bass/lo-mids at the expense of real low end.

Before anyone says you don't need deep lows, consider that most cabs cannot handle deep lows, so when those lows are pushed upper bass/lo-mids get distorted and that's what causes mud.

If you want your low B string to really sing, build a fEARful or have one built. They are lightweight cabs that aren't very large and together with an amphead of your choice are just killer for 5 string basses.
  13. whisper14072

whisper14072

When I had my 5er I played through an Ampeg B200R no issues with low B or mid to highs either :)
  14. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

My B is tuned to Bb and amazingly the MB112 sounds great all flat EQ'd and surprising volume. Best $223 I ever spent.
  15. klokker

klokker

Exactly. You want a decent quality combo amp period. I think that making b string response the criteria sort of gets you off on the wrong track. Most of what the audience will hear comes through the PA anyway.

It seems to me that you would want a combo amp with enough power to cut through on stage, good DI, and perhaps handle an extention cab. Super deep lows wouldn't be much of a criteria for me, or for that matter what it sounds like on its own. How it works in the gig situation would be my criteria.

I chose the Genz Benz route, so that would be my recommendation, and I wouldn't get anything under 300 watts/8 ohms......but that's just me.
  16. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    There is an 8 ohm Dr Bass RxTreme 15" cab in the classifieds for $295. Get it and the micro head of your choice. Then you can add a 2x10 later to the setup. I wish I would have started with something like this instead of going the route I took.
  17. dhomer

dhomer

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    You don't necessarily need to get fundamental response from the speaker driver. What counts is a flat response between 60-100Hz. I would suggest building your own combo. Woudn't be much of a stretch to take the amp section out of an existing combo or use rack gear, build an "airhead" cab, and custom design the driver section. PM me if you like..
  18. Sundogue

Sundogue

That's exactly what I'm talking about. But very few commercial cabs even produce 60Hz audibly, much less 30Hz. Very few handle anything below 100Hz very well.

While the 120Hz harmonic of the low B still provides enough auditory clues to sound full (and that's where most think it is giving them a nice full sound), there is a huge difference in sound and feel when you hear the low B at a strong 60Hz with enough content at 30Hz to give it a great feel.
  19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Totally agree. Any good combo will sound good and allow you to hear yourself, but IME a good fEarful (or similar) will put a &*%@-eating grin on your face, with no weight penalty.
  20. Sundogue

Sundogue

A cheaper and quicker alternative is the Avatar TB153. Like the fEARful 15/6 it uses the Eminence 3015LF and will put some serious REAL low end back into bass. If you play with a 5 string, don't settle...having real clear lows is really eye opening.

It doesn't need to put out the fundamental, but even the 2nd harmonic at 60Hz is substantially more noticeable than typical commercial cabs output of 120Hz. As in "Wow, I didn't know bass sounded like that!" kind of noticeable.

And for what it's worth, it matters very little if a PA is used or not, the clarity of bass through these cabs sounds fabulous onstage and mixes VERY well with FOH mixes because of the mid drivers and real low end, not that typical upper bass/lo-mid crud that causes boom and mud.

Let me reiterate...Real low end (sub 100Hz) does NOT cause boom or mud. What happens is people pushing low end through cabs that can't handle it, forcing the upper bass/lo-mids (that are already too prevalent) to become even more pronounced. Everyone who understands it knows that boom and mud typically are caused by frequencies around 125Hz (that forced pseudo low end in commercial cabs).