1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best combo in the ~25 lbs / ~12 kg class?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SneakerTrigger, Jan 23, 2014.

1. SneakerTrigger

SneakerTrigger

Hello!

So, i'm looking for a combo to fill in the gap between headphones and my 20Kg-Setup (Markbass LM3 + 1x15" Cab)

I had a Phil Jones Bass Cub, but i sold it because i didn't really like the sound ...

Desired Specs:

~150W (more would be ok, but not necessary)
    ~12kg/26lbs (the lighter the better, but there don't seem to be many around) ... absolutely no more than 13kg.

There are some around, but i don't really know any of them, so i'd just like to ask if anyone got some good advice ...
  2. GMC

GMC

have you tried a MarkBass 121P?
    12kgs, 1x12", 500w / 300w, Piezo horn....pretty much a perfect fit.
  3. fendersurfer

fendersurfer

Best Power-Combo. Love it!
    Buy once, have forever. And your back will thank you, too.
  4. Promit

Promit

5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I really like my tiny Gallien-Krueger MB110 bass combo amp - it sounds fantastic.

Tiny: 14.5"H x 12.5"W x 11.5"D
    Lightweight: 21 lbs.
    Powerful: 100 Watts
    Affordable: $299.

Check it out ~
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB110

Anyway, best wishes with your search.
  6. groooooove

groooooove

7. elgecko

elgecko

8. SneakerTrigger

SneakerTrigger

Hmm the Carvin line seems cool, but you can't get it anywhere here in Germany, unfortunately ...

I also thought about trading in my Head and 15" for the MarkBass, but then again, the MarkBass might be a little too much for some situations ... like, if you play with an acoustic guitar and a violin only, or the like ...

@Joe Louvar
    How does the MB110 hold up against other (predominatly un-amplified) Instruments?
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Good. Its not enough oomph to keep up with LOUD hard hitting rock/metal type drummers, but it hangs with dynamic mined drummers, percussion, and it easily hangs with un-amplified acoustic instruments, and etc. However, I've never used my MB110 in a concert orchestra setting, if that's what your asking. Its really powerful, but you can only ask so much from any ported 10" driver cabinet.

PS: Also I'm pretty sure the G-K MB110 is the smallest in size and lightest weighing high powered (100W) 10" speaker bass combo being sold on the market today.
  10. SneakerTrigger

SneakerTrigger

Yeah, it's really compact ... the Phil Jones Bass Cub was rated 100W as well, but it couldn't really keep up to louder percussion and the like ... which is why i asked.
  11. elgecko

elgecko

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Neither will the MB110, but my MB115 bass combo will - however, its 35lbs and much larger too. Your asking for to much from the really tiny lightweight combos.

Anyway, good luck with your search.
  13. SneakerTrigger

SneakerTrigger

Hmm well it wasn't horribly loud, and while with the PJB there was some pressure, presence was missing ... well, i'll find something one day ;)
  14. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

I have owned several PJB/Phil Jones setups, including the Super Flightcase, a D600 head with (2) C4 cabs, and a bass cub for practice at home. I have previously owned a Markbass 121P and a GK 112. I had also tried the Markbass 1 x 8" combo for home practice and didn't like it at all.

A Phil Jones Flightcase or Super Flightcase will do a great job for many gigs, but all of this is really subjective based upon the type of music, other instruments/amplification, and the venue size. Can you give us a better idea of these things?

The Promethean line is a good value for small combos.

I've also heard an Eden "WTX264 & EX110 260W 1x10 Bass Amp Pack" that sounded amazing for the size. I've also heard the very rare 1 x 8 version and it was equally great. I'm not sure how the size/volume falls with your needs, but there is also a 1 x 12" version.

Good luck
  15. Mechanical

Mechanical

A second for the Carvin MB line. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
  16. SneakerTrigger

SneakerTrigger

Well, mostly for the smaller occasions ... basically where the bass needs to blend in with other un-amplified instruments to create a balanced sound without a PA.

So, not rock-oriented styles ... more like contemporary chamber music, klezmer, folk, and the like ...

Oh, and i mostly play 5-String, fretless. But i don't expect an amazing Low B, of course ;)

Think i'll try the TC BG250-208 next, seems most sympathic, apart from the Carvin MB10, which is not available in Germany, seemingly.
  17. ogar

ogar

Well, if money is not an issue (it usually is, right?), I'd definitely consider this. It's a bit heavier than your limit, but small anyway. Here's a nice review. I am saving for mine, that's for sure.

good luck in your search!
  18. SneakerTrigger

SneakerTrigger

Aw yiss, the AER ...

No, really, if money wouldn't be an issue, i'd get it ... but honestly i can't say this.

Well ... some day, maybe ;)
  19. GMC

GMC

If you already have a LMIII head, why not get a NY121 cab and use your current head with it? It'll offer you an adjustable tweeter and simular performance / low weight offering as the combo.
    You can always add the NY121 to your regular rig and add another 3db plus the extra output headroom from your LMIII running into 4 ohms. I think it's probably the smartest thing to do in your circumstance. It also keeps your existing sound across all three load outs (1x12 / 1x15 / both)