Best combo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Erik Tomas, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Erik Tomas

Erik Tomas

Shopping for a combo amp, 2x10. So many choices, have tried some, still not sure. $1000 ceiling. Recommendations anyone?
  2. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

IMO TC electronics. Nice combos, light weight and sound great
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I like Ampeg and GK.
  4. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Personally I'm a fan of TC Electronics and Carvin as those seem to let my basses sound like my basses, but there are tons of options out there in your price range.

What kind of tone are you after? How much volume do you need?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Erik Tomas

Erik Tomas

Small bar stage volume. Thick low end that allows some Rickey clank through. Pick playing mostly.
  7. Grateful

How big a factor is weight?
  8. Erik Tomas

Erik Tomas

My main rig is an Ampeg SVT CL head and 810 fridge cab. Hernia heaven so I'm used to weighty gear. Hello casters, so if it sounds good, lbs ain't a factor. Appreciating the feedback...
  9. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

10. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I love Carvin amps.
  11. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Those Genz Benz combos seem like a great deal if you can find one. I would also check out the GK MB combos. With the budget you have you could get one of the combos and a powered extension cabinet. The Carvin MB combos are nice too.
  12. Geri O

Geri O

I've played the TC and like it, but until I see proof of drastically improved technical service policies, I'm avoiding anything TC Electronics-related. They have given us serious grief over having our FX units and the Lab Gruppen amplifiers repaired. The repairs are always fine and the rates are reasonable, but getting any kind of return correspondence for return authorizations has been a colossal pain in the ass. Having said this, the TC and the Lab Gruppen gear is very reliable. We've needed service only 5 or 6 times in 13 years. (TC Electronics is the US distributor for Lab Gruppen amplifiers, built in Sweden. What is it about those Swedes and kick-ass amplifiers?...:D

If money were no object, I'd recommend the EBS NeoGorm 210. Otherwise, I like all of the other 210 units suggested, except the TC and I hope I can have more confidence in it before too long. TC really does have a good thing going, but if it can't be serviced in a reasonable fashion, what's the point?

Geri O
  13. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I'm not a combo player because of the weight and bulk.
    I prefer making multiple trips to the truck for a lighter load per trip.

If I was looking for a combo, it would probably be the 700RB-II inside a 2x10 combo box. But, at 78 pounds... no thanks.
    The head is removable and useful as a stand-alone amp as required.
    It appears the 210 combo net speaker volume is less than the standalone cab. Bass extension suffers as a result.

I suspect the 700RB-II can drive the 2x10 into the reputed GK growl, but without the punishing loudness level of the bigger heads.
    This amp head has a ton of tone control configurations, which seem very useful.

This is all armchair quarterback speculation, as I play all separates and biamp.
    OP, I'd do the 700RB-II and the Neo 210 as separates.
  14. Grateful

So you recommend against an amp you don't own because the company makes other products that you like, are reliable, and on the rare occasions that they have failed have been repaired properly and reasonably, but the paperwork is a hassle? Or did I read that wrong?
    :confused:

at the OP: FWIW, my BG250-115 has been rock solid in rehearsals and gigs for going on a year now. I'm a 15's guy, but if I was a 10's guy, the TC BG250-210 would be in the top 2 or 3 of my list. But again, lots of great choices out there.
  15. Geri O

Geri O

That's right, and there's more to the story. We bought the Lab Gruppens Before TC took over the distributorship. At that point, it was a few years before any service was needed and that's when we went through 6-8 week ordeals to get the amps repaired (you haven't dealt with that sort of thing, have you? I wish it were only paperwork. And another tip for ya, if you don't have a return authorization number from the tech service department, they won't piss on you if you are on fire).

Trust me, I have my reasons and the paperwork to justify my opinion (which is all I offered, not an edict, just like everyone else around here, in case you didn't notice). And something else I mentioned that you missed, I think the BG25-210 sounds great.

Geri O
  16. DogBone

DogBone

If you like your Ampeg rig you may want to stick with Ampeg combo.

Although no longer in production, I have gotten A LOT of mileage and A LOT of compliments with my little Ampeg BA210 combo. It's a USA made SLM era model, 2 10 inch drivers, built in tuner, and made before the one with all the effects and what-not.

Used market only sadly for this one, but if you can score one of those on craigslist or ebay you probably will satisfied.

I run the style on "2", about 2'clock on the bass, crank the mids, about 2 o'clock on the highs, crank the gain, and it's got a nice mini-SVT ish tone happening, albeit without the SVT tube grind (solid state you know). If you want tube grind on this one, you want a sansamp pedal or something in front.

Small footprint, great volume for it's size, great Ampeg vibe.

However, if you want new, with your budget you may be happiest with a 210 Ampeg cab and one of their little Portaflex heads on top. Talk about portable, flexible, TINY footprint, and nothing bad to say at all about the tone those little heads are putting out.

Good luck!
  17. ack

ack Supporting Member

I was shopping for a 210 combo late last year. I tried many and liked most of them - GK, TCE, MarkBass, Ampeg PF, etc. I think each had their merits and I probably could have picked any of them and been happy.

I found a Markbass CMD102P (b-stock) for 1/2 price and matched it with a new 102HF cab. 6 months later, I couldn't be happier. 40 lbs, 500W (@ 4 Ohms), easy to carry, tilt-back, tons of shaping/emulation features.

Good luck - I believe there are several great options out there.
  18. Linnin

Linnin

Do yourself a BIG favor, and be sure to audition the new Fender Rumble 500 2x10 combo when they come out next month. :hyper:

Also as ack recommended, the MarkBass combo is just killer. I heard a 5-string Music Man being played quite loudly through one in a small club and the overall sound was fabulous. Great tone and plenty of volume/projection. An excellent choice to be sure.
  19. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

GK MB210. A lot of bang for your buck. You could even add a 2x10 or 1x15 cab w/your budget.
  20. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

21. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I agree, nothing beats these Genz Benz Contours at these blowout prices. Basically half price right now. Look for a FOCUS extension cab because they're blowing out too. Sounds like you won't need it but you never know. If nothing else you could grab a micro head later for a whole second rig.