Best compressor pedal for my specific needs ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soulgolem, Jan 9, 2014.

1. soulgolem

soulgolem

I read lots of infos and links that i found here over the course of the week, but there are so many styles of bass playing that it's hard to know if something is regarded with my specific live needs.

I play a violin style bass through a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal going direct in a band that consists of mostly electronic sounds (lots of keyboards and synths, no guitars).
    I also sing lead and want the bass very present so that i can drive the band, there's lots of room to take because of the no guitars, the VT helps in that department, though i don't drive it much, just a hint of a hint.

I'm looking for a compressor that would :

1) help lows be comparable to a bass synth (or just nearer)
    2) give me the most punch
    3) even out my tone so that the smaller strings sound equally fat as the big ones.

not really looking for distortion or overdrive effects, just a big punchy, even, in your face tone. I also tend to prefer analog or tube style things because they sound more natural and find that digital effects tend to be easily lost in the mix, though i am not opposed to anything tested and true, whatever the technology. I don't mind lo-fi stuff, as long as it sounds great, not trying to necessarily simulate an existing tone, just trying to build one. But no racks please, too bulky.

no space to bring a good tube amp even though that would help most of that.

I'm pretty sure this narrows down the possibilities, if any !!
    Budget is between 100-500. the amount depends on how much difference it will make, i can't justify 500 for a 10% improvement, but could easily justify that amount for a huge tonal kick in that direction. This is for live needs primarily.
  2. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

For punch, I am loving the Maxon CP9-Pro+ at the moment. It is based on the famed DBX160 series which is a VCA type compression. I have read that this type of compression circuit is best for punchy sounds (and my experience would certainly support this).

For evening out dynamics and fattening up your sound, I think the Mark Bass Compressore is great. It's a true tube type compression and really sounds natural and rich.

Of course, there are hundreds of others out there. Just check out http://www.ovnilab.com/.
  3. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

4. vince a

vince a

Any of the ones mentioned above, plus throw in an EBS compressor . . . I used it for years. Then I picked up an Eden WTDI (DI box) with EQ, Gain, Master, and built-in compressor . . . have been using that ever since - both units are excellent!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

What you're describing is exactly what the BOSS CS-3 compressor/sustainer does - the downside is it's noisy and not a true bypass petal - but, none-the-less, try one. FWIW: I've been looking for another compressor petal to replace my BOSS CS-3 with (I want a 5090a size with less noise) but haven't found it "yet". Don't misunderstand me - I've heard some really nice compressors, but they just couldn't produce the same "effect" as the CS-3 compressor/sustainer. PS, oh and the CS-3 really is a one-trick-pony, but I think it just might be the trick you're looking for too (set all the knobs to about 1 o'clock). Anyway, at least check it out. TIP: they're not popular, so they sell secondhand for dirt cheap ($40).
  7. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

8. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

yyyuuupp! MultiComp!
  9. Lownote38

Lownote38

The Mark Bass Tube Compressore does exactly what you're looking for. I'm addicted to the thing. No distortion, uses the tube for compression, and evens out the entire range of the instrument while giving as much sustain as you could ever want without being able to hear it engage and disengage.
  10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Still no idea what punch means.
  11. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Mr. Majestic Swamp Ash Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    FEA Opti-Fet Compressor.............and I've lost count on how many different compressors I've gone through. This one covers it all.
  12. Vipersassasin

Vipersassasin

I completely agree! I am on my third compressor (if you count the one on my head) and so far I love my MXR M87 but the next one I will try is the FEA Opti-Fet or the other Multi-band compressor.

I will probably also try out the Mark Bass Compressore though because I found out today Mark Bass has some KILLER tone when it comes to their products.
  13. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Let me have a Diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, ... Supporting Member

Agreed. For me, the Compressore seems to make the mid range a little "fuller" and softens the highest top just a hair. I did change the tube to a NOS vintage Mullard though. Always on pedal.
  14. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Mr. Majestic Swamp Ash Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    DJJazzV, I completely agreed with you and Lownote38 on the Markbass Compressore. Absolutely loved it exactly the way you described it. There were only 2 things I did not like about it (1) the size of the pedal (2) 12 volt ONLY.

I loved my first MB Comp., but sold it to try every pedal on the market.......(that I could find AND afford). But I came back to the MM Compressore and decided to never get rid of it.....but the "2 things" took place. I hated the "size and 12 volt ONLY" aspects; so I decided to sell it, save $$$ and try some of the new "best-of-the-bests". I went through several other pedals, and found the FEA Opti-FET. This pedal corrects the "2 things" and adds several more "positives" no other pedal even approaches.......it is extremely awesome to find MORE than exactly what I was looking for.....this compressor will not be sold.

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/optifet.shtml
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

In reference here, it means heavy consistent leveling so subtle tapping and plucking pops forward more.