Best Decade for Fender??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikio, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Mikio

Mikio

Some bloke is trying to give me a 98 Std MIA J Bass for my 09 Std MIA P Bass

I'm concerned for the age difference, are 90s Fender good? or are post 2008 Fenders better?
  2. moorebass

moorebass Supporting Member

The general consensus is that Fender really took a step forward in quality control beginning in 2008. My experiences confirm this. There are always exceptions, and I'm not saying that there aren't some great 98s out there, but on paper the trade looks very one sided in the other guy's favor.
  3. Paul M

Paul M

+1 on this ^
  4. zortation

zortation

late '90s j basses were fugly...think New Coke
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think we're in one of Fender's better quality periods right now. The 90s? Maybe not so much, but they did build some decent ones in that time period. I own or have owned several of their higher-end offerings from the '90s and have no issues with them.
  7. irvinz

irvinz

Disclosures:
    has too much gas
    I would echo the rest of the guys here saying that we are in one of fenders better quality control periods
  8. Mikio

Mikio

Thanks a lot guys, I was on the same but but I wanted to be sure I if I had the right info. I made up my mind, I'll keep my P-Bass for now =)

Thanks again everyone!
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I love the stuff from the 60's and early 70's.
    But, as someone said, from 2008 on Fender has been making
    really nice stuff.
  10. makaspar

makaspar

'56-'66!
  11. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I think you are thinking about the early 90s "long horn" basses. The late 90s Fenders looked just like current Fenders.
  12. micgtr71

micgtr71

I love my 95. It is a great playing bass. I also think that Fenders (current) are wonderful. My tech, who is very finicky, agrees on both counts.
  13. thesunking

thesunking

Just curiuos what is everyone's take on how Fender's quality toward wood select, machine heads, saddle, pickups, pots and so on. Are these parts machined and fabricated inhouse or vendor supplied on these newer 019 models?
  14. Crabby

Crabby

I would only consider the trade if you can try the Jazz first and you really like it. And assuming you are looking for a jazz instead of a p. Otherwise work towards having one of each!
  15. thesunking

thesunking

I have two Jazz basses that are US 90's, 1962 reissues. The other P bass was a '95 that I let go after a year, it just didn't have the punch and vibe. I may have gotten a lemon from Corona? My son recently came home with a '12 USA P bass special in a honey natural body and I was quite surprised how well the maple neck felt and tone produced with factory strings, it has potential and spunk. Even though my reissues are from the 90's are they any similar to the regular assembly production aside from the two stack knobs and reverse tuners?
  16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Horses for courses, I guess. I have a '97 and a '98 Jazz that are top notch in my book. Others that have played them tend to agree - after trying several basses, my '98 is on semipermanent loan to a touring musician friend of mine. I've played some early 2000's models I didn't care for, and some recent models that I really like.

Responses to this thread are inconsistent with comments in other threads, imo. If complaints about Fender QC and consistency are to be believed, you need to play each individual instrument, because Fender QC is all over the place. Only then will you know if the trade is worth it. At least, that is the gist of 999,999 other TB threads.
  17. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

What model are you talking about? If anything the 90's US Standards have a more original looking bent steel bridge than the current hi-mass jobbers and otherwise look the same.

But the Deluxe, yeah, I agree. However, the '97 I had was built and finished as well as any bass I've ever seen, personally.
  18. SJan3

SJan3

IMO, I don't think you should generalize. You need to compare your bass to his. That's it! I've played great 1995 thru 2007 Fenders and some not so nice 2008+
    So be smart and compare specific instruments.
  19. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I agree. There's been no difference between the 90's and now AFAIC when comparing a slew of basses at the store. Some I connect with and others I don't, but they're all pretty consistent and it's probably mostly due to setup. Maybe the newer pickups are better, but I haven't compared back-back. And you're looking at trading a P for a J, anyway.

I like the current case more than the half-formed, so if I had any advice other than see which of the two you prefer, I'd say to keep your case if you decide to swap. And since he's pursuing the trade, tell him to give it a trial period for you to decide.
  20. moorebass

moorebass Supporting Member

From a purely financial standpoint it makes no sense. You bass is worth more than his, period. You could sell yours, buy a 90's Jazz, and have $$ left in your pocket if a 90's Jazz is what you're after.

Now it's entirely possible that he might have a "special" '98 Jazz, but if that's the case why would he want to trade it?
  21. SJan3

SJan3

If it's a player he wants, it may make perfect sense. And maybe the trader prefers P basses.
    Not too sure how you've managed to determine worth sight unseen. An instrument is only worth what someone is willing to pony up!