1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"best" DIY bass compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by deepestend, Feb 23, 2014.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

I'm getting back into pedal building and would like to make myself a bass compressor. I've been reading around a bit on this and other forums and like anything, everyone has a different opinion. The one piece of advice I keep picking up on, though, is to have an idea of what "kind" of compressor sound would be best for you.

So here, goes: I'm looking for more of a tone machine kind of compressor that tightens up the sound and makes me a little bit more pronounced in the mix while giving me some sustain. I've had the EBS multicomp and I feel like it gives me that tight sound that stands out in the mix, but doesn't quite have the sustain. I have a Ross for guitar which has a very nice sustain to it, but doesn't keep the low end frequencies.

Any advice based on that? I've found some Diamond clone schematics, but I would have to build that on vero and overall that looks like too ambitious of a project. So, def looking for something a little less complicated.

What do you think? Bongo?
  2. MPU

MPU

I hope Diamond is great because that's what I'm making at the moment.
  3. deepestend

Nice. Do you have board?
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd say start with the BYOC optical comp. It's cheap, very easy to build, and works well on bass.

The Diamond, well, it partly depends on the components--so building a copy with cheap/poor components probably wouldn't get you anything better than the BYOC; and it largely depends on the power you feed it, so you would want to make sure that the schematic correctly allows for higher voltage supply; and of course the Bass version might have a couple different component values for more low end.

That last point I'm not positive about--there is conflicting info on the web about differences between the Bass and standard versions.
  5. deepestend

I have you tried the afterlife by Madbean? Also optical and an easy build. It's on my radar too.
  6. bongomania

Disclosures:
    A guy was supposed to send me one of those (well, a DIY Hollis Flatliner, which is what the Afterlife also is) but he hasn't yet.
  7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I've built a lot comps:
    http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Compressors.html

....the Demeter Compulator may not be the 'best' but is one of the easier builds that sounds very good:

[​IMG]

I've built the Flatline/afterlife, but just haven't boxed it yet. IMO, it's also a nice comp that pretty easy to build DIY.
  8. deepestend

What afterlife values did you change?
  9. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses

I just looked at it and I didn't change anything.
    here's a vero that I drew up for it:

[​IMG]
  10. deepestend

Looks good. Let me know if you test it out. I'm thinking of a 3-1 pedal of a comp-Ginger-Fatpants boost. W/ a blender on the pedal.
  11. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I already did test it (just haven't mounted it in an enclosure yet) and it sounds very good.
  12. deepestend

Is there anything you would compare it to?
  13. MPU

MPU

No. I'm following Sabrotone vero layout.
  14. deepestend

Bongomania, I heard that Jon sent you an Afterlife compressor. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

JR
  15. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it.
  16. deepestend