1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best DIY way to fix this issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TBAR Shane, Nov 19, 2012.

1. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to fix up a beat up 6 st fretless. I'm very close to having it ready to play, except for one big issue that I'm not sure how to fix.

At about the 12th (fret?) to the 15th there is a gradual depression in the fingerboard. It's deep enough that it causes the strings to mute any notes against the wood, making that portion of the neck unplayable.

I'm looking for a DIY fix, as I'm trying to keep this cheap. I was thinking perhaps that applying epoxy, with a few extra thick layers to the problem area could do it. However I'm wondering if there's a better approach.

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Is a defretted neck or original fretless? I'm guessing defretted. Can you truss it to a compromise semi-flatness?

3. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

It's originally fretless. I've tried tweaking the truss rod without success.

4. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I'd probably take it somewhere and have it planed before I tried an epoxy approach.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I'd agree. I think you have a fretless skijump going on.

7. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Thanks.

Can you explain what you mean by ski jump, and how getting it planed will help?

8. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses