Best doubler amp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CountyryJazzer, Jan 16, 2011.

1. CountyryJazzer

CountyryJazzer

I have been looking for a double agent kind of amp, I was wondering what is the consensus for the top 5 doubler amps. I am looking for something that can be heard with DB and Electric over a full band and be under $1500. I also do allot of touring so the rig would need to be as compact as possible.

I use a pretty basic cheap o GK head and 2 10 cab right now. This in no way can handle my DB, not even close, I do like it for electric though. I was also thinking of maybe a real good DI box/preamp situation, but a one shot deal would make my life a hell of allot easier.
  2. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

Check out the Euphonic Audio Micro or Doubler models. I have the Micro. 500 watts, like 2.5 pounds, fits in the pocket of my gig bag. Use it with some combo of a Wizzy 12 and/or a Wizzy 12 M Line.
  3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    +1 on the Doubler. I travel around the world and it's been fantastic. There is an internal jumper to convert to 220 volts---very quick and easy to do. I thought that I was going to need a more powerful amp for loud electric bass gigs but since I've had the Doubler I've found that it works perfectly well in all situations. The other small lightweight amps ( Acoustic Image or Walter Woods) sound pretty good on upright but not enough impact on electric. Even the very high wattage ones. They go as loud as you'd want, but still don't have the visceral impact that I need.
  4. CountyryJazzer

CountyryJazzer

so basically the only advantage of the doubler is the addition of the xlr if you run a mic?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

CountryJazzer,
    That's just the tip of the iceberg for the Doubler. It has a variable phase shift, a variable lo cut filter for feedback and a phantom power supply. Channel 1 and Channel 2 have different midrange EQ for DB and EB as well.

Ric
  7. CountyryJazzer

CountyryJazzer

has anyone ever run a doubler with standard cabs? I have some rated for the wattage but they are not ported or powered, do you think it would just sound flabby? Reason i am asking is, I have a hard time just buying something without trying it out with my cab/bass. Just to order a head and cross my fingers i like it, isn't a great feeling to me, I'm a musician, aka poor, ha!

Anyone know of links of someone using one of these, I found one of a German dude playing one with their sales rep, but the conditions are to controlled, I would love to see one in the wild.

Finally, can you run this in a rack?
  8. Studiodawg

Studiodawg

You would need to "rig it" to put in a rack. I might do that, but haven't as of yet. I have plugged mine into a (2)-15" old Peavy cab & into a (1)-15" Fender cab & into a (2)-10" Yamaha cab loaded w/ EVs...this amp never sounds flabby. It is squeeky clean...I prefer running my Doubler w/ my Fender cab...full and portable...
  9. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Supporting Member

I use a Hartke LH-1000 head and Hartke HyDrive HX410 4x10 cab (with tweeters on). Completely dry signal, makes both my upright and electric basses sound incredible.
  10. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Can someone quantify what "impact" means here? I have an AI Ten2 and can't imagine ever wanting another amp, but I'm not really into rock 'n' roll, either. Both my electric basses sound just fine to me through my Ten2.

TIA.

-S-
  11. dkziemann

dkziemann

Gonna chime in here.... just picked up a 1970 Ampeg B15, and without a doubt is the best amp for both I've ever used. You can probably pick one up used for 1200-1300. It's not super compact, but it's got wheels (and head flips into the cabinet, hence fliptop).

It's very transparent for upright-- when dialed in properly, you can't tell that there is an amp. It fills out the low end VERY nicely. Obviously it's the go to amp for many electric bassists.

If you can find one, definitely get it!
  12. dkziemann

dkziemann

By the way, anyone who tells you that the B15 is too quiet for a normal band is definitely wrong. The amp puts out A LOT of sound, and if it isn't cutting it, then the band is probably way too loud! If you're playing a live show (for bg), the sound engineer is going to take a line off the amp/mic it, so you wouldn't need a mammoth rig anyways.
  13. John_Madere

John_Madere

I use a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 for my electric and upright. It's good for the smaller gigs I play. Not sure how it would hold up against a full band. It also sounds great for both basses without too many EQ tweaks. Took me a while to find an amp like that.
  14. mattfong

mattfong

this is also by no means super portable, but my '71 Fender Bassman head and Eden 2x10 cab, plus a Sansamp Para Driver is an incredible doubling rig.

I also thought it was interesting that someone else has had an excellent experience with old tube amps.
  15. Studiodawg

Studiodawg

So as you can see, there is no right answer...but regarding your GK amp- probably if you get yourself a Fishman Platinum DI box, you'll find your amp is fine...I can use any amp with my upright bass as long as I use my Fishman...
  16. simandlhandle

simandlhandle

I've been using the tc electronic RH450 which has an Input impedance of 1 Mohm (which is fine for the piezo pickup of a doublebass), a very versatile eq section, some kind of inbuilt high pass filter, at least to my ears, which really tightens up the sound on stage with a drummer, and three programable eq programs, and a built in tuner with mute switch.
    The only drawback is one input, so you have to physically pull the lead out and put the new one in, although its not that much of a chore.

It's just 1/ push mute
    2/ push change program
    3/ pull out jack/ push in new jack( the handle is a great place to store the jack you are not using, and saves having to hunt for it on a changeover)
    4/ push mute again(Off){IMPORTANT}

I am mainly a doublebass player, and use it on doublebass only gigs, but it was originally built for bass guitar, and it obviously sounds great with that too when I double.
    The amp fits in a usable and strong bag, with all the leads.
    I've got a few different makes of amps, and they are all good, but I find I usually reach for this as it is so easy to get a useable sound in a new and potentially difficult acoustic venue, and is less setup time.
    At the moment I am loving it, but potentially I can forsee that the inability to switch off the HP filter might get on my nerves, although it's not like othert HP filters which seem to take the balls out of the sound and just make my doublebass sound nasally. There is no mention of an Hp filter in the literature about the amp, but it is evident to my ears when compared to my other amps.
    What it comes down to, though, is that other musicians are saying that they can hear me well
    and that I have a really good full sound, so it will continue to be my amp of choice , especially for doubling. ( I wish I was getting an endorsment for this, but I am not, it's just the conclusions I have reached after using it week after week, in lots of different venues)
    I hope this helps , and that you at least give the amp a try at a gig. Initially I wasn't that impressed with it in the shop , and thought it would be my bass guitar amp, but found it could do both really well.
  17. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

A simple A/B would solve that problem. And the programmable presets would make this amp ideal.
  18. CountyryJazzer

CountyryJazzer

meh, from what I have seen and heard on youtube and whatnot, the tc electronic RH450 kinda sounds weak, what is everyone experience with it?
  19. oren

oren

I'm using an older Ashdown ABM-500 (when they were still made in the UK) and I like it a lot for both upright and ebg. I run the upright (Underwood p/u) into a Fishman preamp with 3-band eq and then the output of that and the output of the bass guitar go into a Whirlwind a/b switch and then that goes into the amp. The Ashdown sounds great, but it's not light - it weighs more than the Epifani UL110 I usually put it into (I add a larger 1 15 cabinet under that for loud gigs). I've also been wondering about the Doubler - I love the idea of a light amp head I can put in my gig bag :)
  20. jsb22257

jsb22257 Supporting Member

I guess Glockenklang Bass Art Classic head, pure flat no colour , warm and transparent. 2 input with switch.
  21. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Some good suggestions already, but I'll add the Phil Jones heads/cabs/combos to the mix. The BG-150 Flightcase and BG-300 Super Flightcase are really nice. The Bass Cub is a lower volume unit, but adds an XLR input. The BG-750 Road Case is a 750-watt combo that also has the XLR input. You can also drive a 250-watt powered 6x6 extension cab (the PB-300) off of any of the combos.