1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best effect pedals for classic rock

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tbird998, Mar 21, 2013.

1. tbird998

tbird998

what effect pedals do you think is the best for classic rock? just asking :bassist:
  2. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Depends...probably nothing

Unless you get into some 70's progressive rock, then maybe chorus or flanger
  3. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

I'm currently playing in a Pink Floyd tribute, and for that I have: octave divider, overdrive, fuzz, tremolo, envelope filter, volume pedal, phaser, and delay.

Not typical for classic rock, but it works really well for us, since we are a 4-piece trying to sound like Floyd on record I have to be able to cover a variety of sounds. I have generally played with no effects though, and that works just fine also.
  4. Swift713

Swift713

Depending on your rig, maybe overdrive or some kind of amp emulator.
  5. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

If there are 2 guitar players in the band I would prob go light on effect pedals or none at all

If its there is only 1 Guitar & I would say sky's the limits ... I'm in a classic rock trio (musically) & the 4 effects I use the most are Overdrive, Chorus, Flanger & a Micro Pog set for upper octave only.
    I have a few other effects but they are only used on certain songs that we don't always play.

You can get a really a fat wall of sound behind the lead breaks with a micro pog set for upper octave & a dirt pedal blended with the dry signal.
  6. stratovani

stratovani

I'm in a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers tribute, and I only need to use three pedals - a Boss TU-2 tuner, Boss LMB-3 Limiter, and a Boss GEB-7 bass EQ, which I use as a clean boost for times when I need extra volume. The music requires clean playing with no effects. Other bands' music have different requirements.
  7. omie

omie Supporting Member

Tom Petty has some of the cleanest, tame bass in all of rock n roll.

I just recently joined a classic rock cover band and I would suggest an OD... VT bass and sft are extremely versatile.

My greatest pleasure is trying to cop different bass tones one song to the next... Including petty's ultra clean tameness. :D
  8. Rhegedor

Rhegedor

I play In a classic Rock band to, I use a compressor and very light distortion once in a while on heavier songs, but that's pretty weird to use a distortion pedal for most classic rock
  9. stratovani

stratovani

Very true, and I'm always fighting the temptation to overplay. The bass lines are as simple and clean as it gets, and it fits Petty's music perfectly.
  10. makanudo

makanudo

darkglass vintage microtubes?
  11. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

+1 on probably nothing

Alternatively
    A boost, an overdirve, a compressor.
  12. Meddle

Meddle

Something that copies the preamp section of an Acoustic 360. Maybe some sort of tape echo sim that you use for one break in one song out of an entire set (and still get dirty looks).
  13. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

The quick cure for over playing is singing while your playing :)
  14. tbird998

tbird998

Thanks for the tips! Well i'm playing a trio and i'm also singing and i love the whole thing about effect pedals.
  15. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

If you had to have something I think it would be a VT Bass
  16. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I use a compressor and chorus a lot and an envelope filter when needed.
  17. mcm

mcm

I say nothing but love a wah
  18. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I'd say your most common effects for classic rock (aside from none, since nearly all classic rock songs have very clean basses) are:

- Fuzz/OD for that Black Sabbath/overdriven SVT sound
    - Phasor - it'll sound like the bass in "Stranglehold"
    - Wah or envelope filter- if the OD or fuzz is placed before it, you can fake a whole lot of Bootsy/P-funk sounds
  19. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

:cool:
  20. rekesbass

rekesbass

some sort of a MILD O.D. will work if your amp is not capable...all the recordings in classic rock have some sort of O.D. weather it's the amp overdriving,the speakers being pushed or clipping of the recording etc...none of the recordings are truly "clean"...other than that you really don't "need" anything..with that said,effects most commonly heard in classic rock: phase\flange,chorus,envelope filter\wah,delay...not knowing your song list it's hard to answer your question..are there any specific songs you do where there is a effect your not sure of ?...we could probably help further...