Best Electric Bass under $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tunewriter, Feb 19, 2014.

1. tunewriter

tunewriter

For a beginner who will still be able to use it for a while. Not looking for a toy.
  2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

That amount of money could get you a used U.S. Fender. Look it over real good, check the neck for twists and overbowing. Maybe take a knowledgeable friend with you to buy it.
  3. oldrookie

oldrookie

G&L L2000 Tribute.
  4. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

If you're looking at a new bass. then the Yamaha TRBX 504 will knock your socks off.
  5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

tunewriter, that is such a subjective question, that it would probably help if you fill in your profile as complete as you are comfortable, and tell a bit about yourself and your expectations, interests, LOCATION, genre's of interest, etc, etc ...

... you wont find much of anything talked about on here that are 'toys', but with that said there are definitely better values than others, but it doesn't matter how good they are if they do not fit/meet your needs ... especially if your 'for a while' carries you into playing live and gigging regular, etc ... I generally tell newcomers to find the best USED $150-200 bass that is comfortable for them to play, and then once they figure out what it is they will need/like/want for the longterm, sell the first bass for what you paid for it (you bought it used), then get what is required down the road when that time comes ... never know, it may be that $200 buy you learned on ;) ... JMHO
  6. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Completely depends on what you like brother. Theres the Squier classic vibe series,vintage modified series, MIM fenders, as said before used american fenders, yamaha TRBX, almost any ibanez, G&L, musicman SUB series
  7. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Yamaha BB series are great, and good values.
  8. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Used. Whatever you like, used.
  9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

10. Reddog01

Reddog01

Whatever you get needs to fit YOU. When I first went shopping for my first bass, I went into my local GC to look at the Squires. After playing the Squires, Yamahas, etc. I walked out with an Ibanez. You need to hold them, see what the action feels like to you on the neck, listen to the sound, and select it for yourself. Frankly, we can all vote all day long on what we like, but this is going to be your bass. I play golf and nobody I play with has the same set of clubs. Each of us looked for what felt right, the proper loft for our swing, and other factors that suit us. Selecting a bass is the same way. There are a lot of good brands out there. Find the one that is right for you. With your budget you should be able to find a very nice. playable bass. Don't rush it -- play as many of them as you can.
  11. DistroHopper

DistroHopper

^ This. Best option is to just go to stores and play them. You do that and you'll get a good feel for what sound you like, what pickup layout you prefer, etc. For ~$500 you have plenty of options available to you.
  12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Id get a sub ray4 I love mine. For a cheaper bass they are great.
  13. DanGouge

DanGouge

Troll the used market, you'll be amazed what you can get sometimes at that price. US and Japanese Fenders, German Warwicks, Lakland Skylines and so on. You just need some patience and persistence. If you absolutely MUST buy new, then Squier Classic Vibes are a pretty good way to go, and you'll have money left over to upgrade the pickups.
  14. tnosam

tnosam

The best is any Tribute Series G&L bass you can find. I bought a Tribute Series SB-2 online for under $500 because it was blemished. I've had it for three years and I still have located the blemish. And it plays and sounds wonderful. :hyper: Do a little research into the G&L company and you will be surprised at what you will find. I am presently considering purchasing my second G&L bass.
  15. Matt_T

Matt_T

16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

^^^ This... Take your time.. I do recommend that you get a 5 string though.. Cut to the chase .. You should be able to get a decent bass new for $500 .. a very decent bass used for that price..
  17. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

18. Reddog01

Reddog01

Don't ever talk bad about a person's dog, their shotgun, or their bass!!
  19. joel406

joel406

Squire jazz basses are very affordable. Add in about $100 for a pickup-upgrade and your in at under $500 easy.
  20. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

When I was making the switch to bass, I had narrowed it down to the Epiphone EB-3, the Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-IV, or the Gretsch Junior Jet, based on my research and the appeal of the body shapes to me. I ended up getting a Gretsch Junior Jet II (G2220) because a luthier friend of mine made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

But I strongly suggest sitting down at a website such as Zzounds, doing a search for what's available at your price point, and looking at what appeals to you visually. Then read the reviews of those instruments. Then find out where you can go to actually handle and play them. Don't make a purchase until you've actually strummed the strings on the ones that interest you.

You have the rest of your life to play this guitar... don't rush into a relationship that you're going to regret later.