Best eq settings for jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Hey y'all, my friend is recording his album and has asked me to help him with some demoes.His album is mainly an instrumental jazz album with some Funk, R&B, and Cuban music here and there. He uses a warwick streamer stage 1 FL strung with TI jazz rounds and a backup Rick strung with Labellas. Any suggestions as far as eq settings, compression, etc.
  2. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

157 views and 0 replies??! oh Come On people:rolleyes:
  3. ddhm

ddhm

Well, if you really want a reply, here's one: Use the EQ to find a sound that works in the situation. Sorry, but it's the only one I have.
  4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

That is the BEST answer. There is no such thing as a "setting" that works for every situation. Too many variables.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I know that there is not 1 setting, but I would like to know what people would suggest to get that smooth,punchy growl that you hear in.. I can't find any examples of it, but what would you recommend, bass boost, mid-boost, compression, a chorus pedal, what?? help me out here.
    PS- The studio he wants to use once the demo are finished only has 8 weeks worth of time unbooked. So I don't have all the time in the world to experiment with these things. Sad but true.
  7. longfinger

longfinger

Find examples and recordings that have the sound, listen.

Friend plays, and adjust knobs till you get something that sounds great with what he is doing now. Let the past inform, but not dictate the present. Don't go in with pre-conceived notions of what knobs to turn.
  8. refbassist

refbassist

set the EQ to flat and startplaying around with knobs one at a time and listen, what i always prefer is to boost the low mids and leave the high frequencies flat, i use this as reference point, hope that helps.
  9. groooooove

groooooove

any time someone asks for "the best _____ for _____" the answer is -

there isn't.
  10. simenandreas

simenandreas

Set the eq flat.. Use a little compression and a side-chain compression with the kick drum
  11. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Thank you
  12. Gearhead17

It's really going to depend on the player's technique, the bass, how he is recording it, and what other instruments are involved. Probably best to stick with clean tones, no effects and to do small adjustments first. Punch is subjective, but a good presence in the 200-400hz zone is my favorite area to focus on for punch. Boosting heavily below 100hz on a bass track is typically not very helpful for the end result. Unless that is what you want the bass to do. Again, it's subjective and you have to follow your ears.

Compression on a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio can be very helpful for getting a more even bass tone and it will help notes sit in the mix better.

Record a direct clean track and get a good sound recorded. Adjust it a bit later and you are set to go. Don't go for a heavily boosted tone as the clean tone - get something close to what you want to start with. Trying to add midrange in at a later date is hard when you recorded a highly scooped tone.
  13. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Hey guys, your advice worked great! We ended up boosting 250-400 hz by about 5dB, adding 3:1 compression, and double tracked it, and it sounds AMAZING! I'll post sound clips when I can.
  14. Gearhead17

Awesome! I am glad it worked it out for you!:bassist::bassist: