Best Fender 60's J reproduction?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

So, I live in West Virginia and there are no basses to play. :-(

I would really like to get a 60's type J bass ... Road Worns look fine (a little spendy for a mexican) but am worried whether they are consistent enough neck wise.

I have considered and would just go ahead and buy a real vintage bass but I don't really care about having something collectible, plus I don't want something with a bunch of issues (see above).

I guess the middle ground is some sort of reissue or custom shop J, which is why I pose the question ... if you had to buy something like this sight unseen, which one would it be?

Some people have advised buying a Road Worn from MF and sending it back if it isn't right, which seems as reasonable as anything, I just don't have a ton of time to ship basses around.

I know this sounds kind of whiney...I am just looking for some advice because I have not really been in the bass game for a while, cheers...:bassist:

Not really interested in a boutique builder J, need a Fender!

2. strost

strost

I'd take a day and drive to Columbus. There's a GC and tons of other shops.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

dude stop being whiny and just start ordering stuff from musicians friend or the used guitar center pages. both are easy returns. its either that or start developing a relationship with a repair man!

4. garp

garp

You might want to compare the Roadworn with the regular ‘60s Jazz. Not quite as “spendy.” (In the interests of full disclosure: I own three MIMs and like ‘em a lot.)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MR PC

MR PC

Japanese 60's Fender reissues from the 80's into the mid 90's are excellent. Usually found for 500-800 bucks.They even made some stack knob models in the early "80's that could fool ya if you didn't know better,, just really great sounding basses.

7. pfox14

pfox14

I haven't played any of the Fender reissue J-basses, but as long as you are ordering from a place like MF with a fair return policy, then give 'em a try and see what happens.

8. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    The new Fender AVRI 63 Jazz (and the Lake Placid Blue is gorgeous).... another option for the 60s sound is the G&L JB... They may have a goofy headstock, but I have one, and I think it nails the 60s Jazz vibe perfectly... You'll also get way more cosmetic options... something to consider

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

D. Lakin Basses Joe Osborn 4
    or find a used Lakland Skyline JO with Fralins

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

All good suggestions...Joe you're right, ugh...I think I will just bite the bullet on a Road Worn...

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

80s mij jazz plus Alleva C pickups

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

be prepared to ship stuff back. my friend just bought a 60's classic jazz from the used guitar center website after checking out mine. no where near as hot. im starting to think i got some weird anomaly. i had to clamp back bow/add washers to get the neck straight and do a fret level at the heel. after that it played sweet but still didnt sound as good.

if the road worn's neck is straight and has the open, non mexi (ie cheap) sound like my classic 60's youll have a lifer!

13. headband

headband Supporting Member

I have an original '69, a CS NOS 64 and a RW jazz. My favorite and best sounding is the '69, but a close second is the RW. The neck on the RW is fantastic. I bought mine used (very cheap) without pickups but had an upgraded control plate/electronics. I installed Aguilar pickups and it is now one of the best basses I own. I don't think you will regret buying one.

14. greybeard125

greybeard125 Supporting Member

I picked up a MIJ 2013 66 reissue and can't say anything bad about it. The neck duplicates my original 66 perfectly and the fit n finish is perfect everywhere. If you've got the change for it, buy it. You won't be disappointed

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I recommend the Road Worn Jazz. Unbelievably great for the bucks. The necks are very consistent. I've played nearly a dozen of them, and own two.

16. vin*tone

vin*tone

Meh. 9" FB radius.

17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Say what you will about the country of origin, but the Classic Vibe Jazz is a seriously kickin' piece of work.

That being said, there are some notable structural differences between that and other 60's reproductions. Outside the types of wood used, there's the bridge (high-mass vs. vintage bent-plate) and the fretboard radius (9.5" vs 7.25"). Understandably, if these are serious issues, no problem.

I mentioning it because they're easy to acquire and they don't cost an arm and a leg, but mainly because there's a lot of hard-earned love for them 'round these parts. Is it "the best" reproduction? Maybe not, but it is a solid instrument and worth mentioning.

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

+1

The Road Worn basses IMO are the closest you can get to a vintage bass in terms of playability, look and tone for the money. Every one I have played has been consistent. I've owned more basses than I care to admit, and I would never hesitate to gig one of these. If you are looking to get something a bit more high end, the new '64 Reissues from Fender are terrific basses all around. They aren't cheap, but the price reflects the build quality. Fender Custom Shop are excellent as well. There are a few other companies other than Fender that build excellent vintage copies such as Bluesman Vintage, Nash, JohnK(who is a TB'er). Do a search and you will find a wealth of information.

19. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I've owned more preCBS J basses than I can count and have looked long and hard for something that resembles the feel and sound of a bass of that era. I've tried them all! Played on the new 64 AVRI's yesterday and it was horrible!! These guys that take off the shelf parts(AllParts) and then do a relic job on them are a joke. Some of them(like Nash) don't even have the pickup spacing correct! Although none have yet to cop that preCBS vibe, I would probably recommend picking up a used RoadWorn. Don't bother messing with it by changing pickups and whatever, just play it as it is and enjoy it for what it is. Otherwise when you feel like spending the big dough get the real deal.

20. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Interesting that you say that. The new AV '64 Jazz Bass from Fender is IMO as close as you can get to a pre CBS Jazz. I've also owned vintage Fenders(including a real 1964 Jazz as well as several CBS era late 60's/70's). Perhaps the one you played was a lemon.

At any rate, the Road Worn basses are excellent. ;)