best Fender J Bass value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XUSMC1775x, Dec 10, 2012.

1. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

hey y'all, i love Fender J Basses and i want another. problem is i want too many , i want your opinions on which Fender J Bass is the best value for the money. i will try out the recommended basses, so i appreciate any answers...thanks!

2. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

The discontinued Highway One is an incredible value. USA built for those that still think that MIM's are devil's spawn. They disco'd them last year and at one point could be had new for 585.00.

The only rub with these basses is that a material number of people did not care for the tone circuit in them. That can be fixed quickly.

Read up first as the earlier Highway 1 did not generally garner high praise.

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

I love Japanese 75 reissues. Great values!

4. Midak

Midak

In my opinion, both the Geddy and the Marcus are excellent value for money basses. I don't know about the newer MIMs, but the CIJ & MIJ were (and are :D) great.

It comes down to your personal preference though. I like vintage-styled features (gloss finished necks, blocks & binding, 60s & 70s aesthetics) over the modern-ones (satin finished necks, modern aesthetics etc), but you are the one to buy the bass. ;) So, get out there and try as many basses as you can, untill you find the one that speaks to you in every aspect.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

IMHO:

MIM FSR natural finish ash J bass from GC or MF. With the right coupon and the right person on the phone or at the counter, these beauties should be within reach in the $400 range new. Snagged one on Black Friday myself. Awesome!! Read the reviews on the relevant websites.

And of course, +1 on MIJ, though they cost a bit more.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Fender "Roadworn" Jazz, great bass for the money.
    Ready to go, just plug in and play.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

A Used Jazz bass is the best value for the money.

9. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Many have already responded with some great ones.

Roadworn (you can get one for $500-$700 used)
    Geddy Lee (regularly go for under $600 used)
    MIJ's of any kind (they can range from $350-$800, depending on type)
    Highway One's are also a great value ($500-$600 used)
    Some of the oddball models from the early 90's from the USA
    80's Squier Japan Jazz basses (harder to find)
    Fender Jazz Deluxe 24 (if you're looking for something different, you can get one for $400 easy)
    Fender Jaguars (the "first" edition, very versatile...I have owned many and still own one)
    EDIT: Also, pre-Noiseless Deluxe Active Jazz basses are quite exceptional. They can be had rather easily for $300-$350.

I have owned all of these basses. I presently own two '75 Reissues (one from the 90's, one newer non-export). Used they are the best value, IMO.

10. Handyman

Handyman

Do you have a price range in mind? "Good value for the money" could describe anything from $100 to way more money that I've got. :)

11. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Fender Jaguar MIJ By Far. It's basically a Fender Jazz on Steroids. Sub $500 on Ebay for them in excellent condition if you look hard enough.
    Here's mine. It's my favorite bass of all time. :hyper:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. NWB

NWB

On a pure quality-to-price ratio, I'd say the Squier Classic Vibe wins hands down.

13. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

agree with the statement above. if you can take advantage of the current deals on the AVRI 62 reissues (under 1100), that is the current best value. Nitro, USA made, known to hold its value, tolex HSC, stack knobs, light weight most likely. Enjoy!

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

+1!!!!!

15. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

i actually have one, great bass! easily the best bass i have played in this price range! im going to get another sometime, congrats on yours

16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Okay, I am biased, since it was my very first bass (plus I love the look and the P/J config), but I think the Fender Aerodyne Jazz is a helluva bang for the buck. $800 brand new, $700 with the cross-the-board Fender/Squier sale going down right now. Even less if you get a good, used one.

It's a solid, slick piece of work but at a reasonable cost, landing in the middle ground between the MIM's and the MIA's.

Here's mine, a 2007 Crafted In Japan model;

[​IMG]