1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

best Fender MIM bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XUSMC1775x, Dec 21, 2012.

1. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

im going to purchase an 62 reissue jazz soon, but for now i need another for gigging. i dont want to go to to expensive. so in your opinion what is the best Fender MIM bass? i will play as many as i can, but i just want a little more help; a few players might suggest one/some on here that i might not of tried out normaly/ so i will appreciate everyone's suggestions, thanks.

2. blueflamerick

blueflamerick Supporting Member

The Road Worn series, hands down.

3. newbold

newbold

I really like my JazzV but I'd have to say that the best backup Fender would have to be a Squier.

Take some time and play every one and you will probably find a sweet player for a sweet deal.

Remember: wood is unique. If you pay attention to the neck pocket and find grain closer to quartersawn/riftcut than flatsawn you'll have a keeper that, with a modest investment in pickups/pots/etc (generallyunnecessary though), will be better than an MIM Fender.

I'd grab a Vintage Vibe P...but a great MIM P, MIM P5, or JazzV would be my suggestions there.

Here's the MIM P.

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/standard-precision-bass

I'd suggest that, if you're flexible with the brand, that you grab a Yamaha BB. For not much more you can have an absolutely killer bass with a Strings Through Bridge, great fit&finish, and some smokin' tone.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-BB1024X-VW-4-Strings-Vintage/dp/B006JB645E

4. totallywink

totallywink

I totally dig my MIM 60s Classic Jazz. Solid instrument that you could probably get at a decent price used.

My .02

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

The 60's Jazz is a GREAT BASS I had one then traded it for a E series P bass and the Jazz was to me a better bass the E series one I got had some issues.. it too was a great bass..

7. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    Road Worn series
    60's Classic Jazz
    Build your own and pay for a pro setup

Any of the above would make great backup instruments, at the very least.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

There are a few

Yet I really think Reggie Hamilton's is the very best.

3 band equalizer with on/off switch in a P/J configuration (American series split pickup with Custom Ceramic Noiseless Jazz bridge pickup) and onboard Hipshot BT2 bass extender

d'you need anything else?

Alright, maybe a himass bridge... you've got it all, put a Gotoh and you're good to go...

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Every MIM I have tried has been a great bass but I have to agree that the Reggie Hamilton is the best.

Ken

10. Immigrant

Immigrant

Which breakfast cereal is "the best"?

The one that tastes good and doesn't turn you into a diabetic.

Which MIM Jazz is "the best"?

The one that sounds and feels right when you play it. You. Not me. Or them ^.

I really like store brand Cookie Crisp when I have the munchies, but it makes my gut hurt for a few minutes after eating it. :p

11. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
  12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Right. I am still saying Reggie Hamilton. We and the OP understand all that, he asked for suggestions to try that he might otherwise overlook and we have given him some bass suggestions. I am sure he will appreciate your input the next time he shops for breakfast cereal. :D

Now perhaps we should mention one thing because Reggie Hamiltons are a bit hard to find in stores so you may have to order one sight unseen if you want one. It does have a different and slightly thicker neck from most MIMs. Some will love this, some will hate this, and many, like me, will notice it without either loving or hating it. The RH neck is one of the few MIM necks that adjust at the heel rather than the headstock and while I have not tried any others (they also are a bit hard to find in stock) I am guessing that they are all a bit thicker than the headstock adjust necks.

Ken

13. IPA

IPA

For the money that a "better" MIM costs, I'd rather have an American Special P or J.

14. TC2112

TC2112

I have 2 classic 50' s P basses and they are great instruments

15. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

+1

Although Apple Jacks are better, hands down.

Quick tip; the TB classies are a good place to start... There are a number of players who have a good reputation buying and selling basses. I've always had good luck there...

16. electracoyote

electracoyote

I have found the contemporary MIM Standards (from around 2008-2009 when they began offering a maple fretboard) to be outstanding. I needed basses for the road a few years ago, and I ended up with two Ps and a J, maple boards on all. Found one used, what a deal. Excellent fit and finish, 20-minute set-up to perfection right out of the box, iconic Fender tone. Great value. I've been wanting to pick up a USA Fender, but I can't justify the expense, I'm enjoying the MIM Standards too much.

The Jazz is relatively bright for a Fender. I can get some pretty aggressive tones, excellent for slap, and it mellows out with different tone/EQ/string choices, just like any bass would. Everything you'd expect from a J.

I added the anodized gold PG and tug bar to this one.

[​IMG]

17. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Road Worn. The only mim I'd ever purchase.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

The Classic series, Road Worns, and Reggie Hamilton are all excellent, but in my opinion the best for backup duty is a used Standard P or J. Those from the last five years or so are very good, so just watch for one at a price you can't refuse. I did this, and ended up with a near mint 2010 J for $325, to which I added some parts I had lying around: a Gotoh bridge, high end tort guard, and American Series Fender pickups. It doesn't play quite as well as my USA Fenders and G&L's, and of course its finish and quality aren't in that league, but it certainly plays well enough to gig with, and it looks great and sounds fantastic. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

19. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

hahah the breakfast cereal quote was great, thank you for that laugh! thank you for your input, ill try to find a Reggie Hamilton sig in a store. and cute dog!

20. powermatt99

powermatt99

I just getting into bass more and took advantage of the in-store black friday deals at Interstate Music. I don't know much about bass electronics but I like the fatter P sound. My goal was to find the best playing sub-$700 bass with P-style pickups. I figured I can change out pickups and electronics to whatever I want later on. I settled on an MIM Deluxe P-bass. Also in the running were a Roadworn MIM and a Classic Vibe.

I've already replaced the cheap-looking faux-anodized pickguard. I played last weekend at church and I thought the bass sounded great through the house GK1001-RBii despite the crappy Peavey cab. Other musicians in the congregation comented on the articulate yet punchy tone. Besides the pickguard, everything else will stay stock for now until I get a better understanding of bass electronics. As the weather here has yo-yoed, I've noticed a little fret sprout which I can take care of rather easily.

21. XUSMC1775x

XUSMC1775x

thank you everyone for your opinions, i will try all of these. thanks again.