Best flanger for bass.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jan 29, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What do you guys all think is the best flanger out there to use with bass guitar?? I'm thinking I'm buying one with tax money this year and would really like to pick up a great flanger. I really want a whammy too but, I can't always get what I want haha

2. Disappear

Disappear

But if you try sometimes... you just might find you get what you need.

I'm in the market for a good flanger. What's the best flanger for metal?

3. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Lotta cats like the old Boss BF-2, don't think they are around anymore though. I do remember WalBassPlayer using the DOD FX-72B and having great luck with it, liked it better than the BF-2 IIRC.

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm a cat that likes the BF-2. It just sounds good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JuanBass0012

JuanBass0012

The Boss Bf-2 for me is the best Flanger

7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

BF-2 is very good but so is the new MXR bass chorus, you get a great chorus and great flanger in one pedal.

8. cnltb

cnltb

Doesn't the Jampedals waterfall do the flanger thingy?
    I hear good things about the waterfall.

9. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

I've used a few different flangers (Boss BF-2/3,DOD Jet,Bass and that brown one, Subdecay Quantam, Moog Clusterflux, ADA flanger). Of all of these for size.power supply ease and overall sound my fav is my Ibanez SF-10 Swell Flanger. It's very jet like at high settings and makes for a nice chorus as well as many sweet flange sounds. There are three trimpots (res,bias and sounds like delay time to me) and I keep the res and delay maxed for AMAZING takeoffs and sweeps!

10. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I don't use modulation these days, but the DOD FX72 Bass Flanger was incredible when I had it.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I just got a BF-3 from a fellow TB'er and I am completely impressed. I had been using Ibanez FL-9s and was convinced they were "The ones". This thing smokes it.

12. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    So, silly, have you used the boss bf-3? I think I'm either going with the boss bf-3 or the ibanez you're speaking of. I've never heard of the ibanez sf-10 but then again, I haven't payed much attention to flangers ever. Do you think the sf-10 will be better than the boss bf-3 in your honest opinion?

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Um, yes, I have used the BF-3 and am currently using it. Do I think the SF-10 will be better? I have no clue. I used vintage FL-9s and have little or no experience with current production flangers.

I can tell you that the BF-3 is pretty cool. It has a few cool settings on it. There is a gate that is pretty wild sounding and it has a "Temporary" setting which allows you to use the pedal by stepping on the button and when you take your foot off it, the effect turns off. This is very handy when you have to use more than one effect for one passage and then at the end you need to turn them all off quickly ( Think opening of "Killing in the Name").

At any rate, I am very happy with it.

14. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    So that mxr bass chorus can be used as a flanger too? Or is it just a "glorified" chorus pedal?

15. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

The Source Audio Orbital Modulator has a really great flanger. Multiple programming options with it as well. I got one a few weeks ago and love it. It should be released in February. It also has Chorus/Phaser/Tremolo too.

16. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Nothing is glorified. It's an excellent flanger and an excellent chorus. It has a chorus position and a flanger position.

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Disclosures:
    Various C-titles: Nordstrand Pickups
    [​IMG]

It's the best flanger for my basses. I also quite like the Boss BF-2. Again, for my basses.

18. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

I have a boss bf-3. I would love to know why there is so much hype about the bf-2 opposed to the newer bf-3. I have never played a bf-2

19. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

+1 for Boss. I used a Boss BF-2B before and never been happier, until now...

20. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I like the bf-3 too. The gate/chop setting is very cool. I had an old Ibanez swell flanger, not sure of the model number, and I found the volume variations to be off-putting (the "swell" in swell flanger) and also when on the quiet part of the cycle it seemed to lose bass, although maybe that was just a volume thing. The swell flanger kills on guitar though, and other than the volume variation bugging me it was a good pronounced deep flange with lots of color and whoosh. I feel like the boss is a solid utility pedal, some of the boutique ones might cop some better ecsoteric tones, maybe more distinctive, but the boss works very well for me. It does have a slight volume boost when engaged, but I find that to be useful, although for others it makes the bf-3 unusable.

21. socialleper

socialleper

I like my EHX Electric Mistress. It does chorus, flange, a combo of the two, fun speed options, and no bass suck. Its a pretty neat pedal.