1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best flats for that "clank" sound of Steve Harris/Geezer Butler and so on..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ChorusPedal88, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Ok after about 3 or 4 months of serious experimentation with my sound, I have come to love that dirty clanky sound of flatwounds with metal :bag:

Theres just something about the sound that connects me with my bass emotionally and I have ALOT of fun jamming to Geezer Butler and Steve Harris basslines and the very occasional improv, weird I know.

And I'm just really wondering what the best set of flatwounds that you can get to get pretty close to the clanky sound? Sort of a mix between Geezer and Steve

Thank you in advance!
  2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Any flat will clank with low action, and "proper" tenique. Chromes are pretty bright and Rotos are too.
  3. markdavid

markdavid

+1 , low action will get you that clank, Rotos or Chromes are probably your best bet for that type of sound and get a set in a light gauge as this will help as well. I know what you mean about flats , they have a different type of clank to rounds
  4. steve66

steve66

Steve Harris uses Rotosound. His own signature series strings.
  5. bassnug47

bassnug47

Disclosures:
    life is good, Dead is better
    TI jazz flats are very very low tension strings
  6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

But they are much more mellow than Chromes or Rotos. The Rotos especially have an almost angry sound when new!
  7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Yeah, to me the TI flats just sound old, and feel like a flopping fish.

A maple fretboard really helps with any clank. It really adds alot of snap to the sound.
  8. whereeaglesdare

whereeaglesdare

I've tried using Rotosounds a couple times but each time they wore out verrry quickly. I wouldn't recommend them. Plus I heard they chew up your frets quicker than certain other strings after a couple years. I'd highly recommend DR strings. Geezer himself uses DR Hi-Beams heavy gauge if I'm not mistaken. After trying DR strings (the hi-beams to be exact) i haven't looked back. I bought a pack of DR Lo-Riders to try and they should be arriving in the mail today, I've heard good things about those too. Not to mention DR strings last a good while.