Best for Octave Up?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chumbo73, Nov 28, 2012.

1. chumbo73

chumbo73

Hi all, I'm looking for a pedal that is capable of doing an octave or two octave up sound (if it has octaves down as well, better) for bass solos.

My two options are the Digitech Whammy and the POG (Micro POG because of my budget) but I guess there are some other good comptetitors.

What I want to emulate is this solo sound (he uses a Whammy):

BTW, you should check that bass player from Argentina.

2. droskobass

droskobass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
  3. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Killer playing in that vid, good vocals too!

I use my line 6 m5 for up octaves, but it doesnt track polyphonic and it doesnt sound quite as good as whatever that guy uses. The benefit is that it has a great bass octaver and a lot more than just pitch shifting.

4. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13

I own an original POG, POG2, and Micro POG. I'll never let go of my original POG & it sounds superiour to my ears... but, the Micro POG is awesome. Small, simple, quick to change settings, and tracks great. MICRO POG - DO IT!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chumbo73

chumbo73

I'm really into the Micro POG but a friend says it sounds very metalic, I've seen the same in some youtube videos.

Is the Whammy capable of playing both an octave up and down at the same time?

7. chumbo73

chumbo73

Yeah, he's amazing!

8. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13

I don't find mine metallic at all... but, YMMV.

9. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

i also dont fine mine metallic. love it.

10. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

I use a EHX HOG and love the filter and resonance controls as this can make it sound VERY digital (which I like: actually I like all sounds) to very natural sounding. I also use a Mooer Pitch Box and love its digital-ness. I've also used a Boss PS-3, EHX POG2, micro POG, EHX BMS and Mooer Pitch Box.

11. bassbrad

bassbrad

Javier is definitely a very cool player and that band simply kills.

The POG pedals are very cool especially since you can both octave up and down and they are poly. The metallic sound depends on how hard you drive the treble into the pedal and how hard you push the treble at your amp and if you have a tweeter.

The 3 options that i use for octave up; Akai UniBass, Zoom B2 and Digitech BP-8.

Akai Unibass is the most natural guitar sounding and the tracking is pretty good if you get the input set properly, by using the tone control and OD you can get pleasant sounds and the ability to add fifths is a real plus. The Unibass responds well to pickup and tone changes I can get everything from a hollowbody jazz tone. to a faux 8 string, to a bass and super overdriven gtr dou sounds

Zoom B2 sounds pretty good and will allow some polyphony will do 1 octave or 2 octave up and also has a decent octaver that you can mix for massive sounds.

The BP8 has all the features of the much sought Bass Whammy so 'nuff said there, btw that can still be had pretty cheaply.

12. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    The POG was very metallic to my ears, didn't like the sound too much though it does do some cool things and that filter is very useful. But for emulating an 8 string, nope. I'm thinking the best bet may just be stringing with a piccolo set and using an octave down.

13. Massimo636

Massimo636

Any other suggestions? I'm also looking for a simple octave up, primarly something that would work well in a delay's FX loop.

14. karla684

karla684

Media:
    T-Rex Octavius is an alternative worth checking out. One octave above, and one below. Mix to your pleasure.

15. chumbo73

chumbo73

Hey, I liked the Octavius.

Did anyone get the chance to compare it to the Micro POG?

16. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

17. Ricketboy

Ricketboy

I use a Digitech Whammy for Doug Wimbish type solo's and dives. It has sweet spots as I think it is designed more for guitar frequencies, so it's true to notes up around the G string (fnar!). The lower notes are more hit and miss. What I often do with my set up is loop a bassline with a Boss RC-30 and use the whammy for some high pitched stuff. It's a lot of fun.

18. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

I have both. Go with the Whammy. If you want you can check out my soundcloud for samples of me using the Whammy for leads

19. tastychoice

tastychoice

+1 I've not used the mooer but my favorite or of all off is the hog by far. It does what you are wanting very well, but that's only the beginning. Amazing and under appreciated.

20. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

EH Bass Micro Synth.

21. newbold

newbold

I suggest some kind of ringmod up - maybe an Armstrong Green Ringer?

BYOC has the Armstrong Twin that houses that and the orange squeezer on one enclosure.

If you run an octave down into an octave up you can get some great textures, especially if your octave down lets a second note pass through. All sorts of harmonic distortions can add tension for you to release and resolve it.

Also, the Armstrong Twin would give you a squishy compressor as a second effect to add to your stable, as money is an issue.

Not at all what you're asking for but certainly a great texture and tool for synthiness.