1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Best free e-mail client for Windows?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fdeck, Dec 21, 2012.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    New computer day. While getting my stuff installed on the new system, I read reports that Mozilla Thunderbird will no longer be maintained. So, I guess I need to know what's the jellybean e-mail client these days.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Email client? I thought everyone just used 'net based email....

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I would of said Thunderbird, but in that case... Opera mail. It's a broswer add-on but it's supposed to be very good.

5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Not according to CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...derbird-not-dead-but-sort-of-on-life-support/

It will still be supported but will not be a priority application for Mozilla.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    Disclosures:
    That's a good point. In the past I've always run a local client so I could have my own archive of my e-mails. Some of them pertain to my business, such as invoices.

But that's all on another computer now, running Evolution under Linux. So, maybe I'll try the 'net based client for a while for this computer, which is for the family to use.

7. onestring

onestring

Aug 25, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Yes, Thunderbird is maintained. I use it heavily and it is frequently updated. Great client and it's a very good idea/super easy to back up your webmail with it!

8. I have only ever used Lotus Notes and I only use that at work. All web based for me, except for the mail client on my iPhone.

lowsound

9. I use Thunderbird.

Is it the best? Dunno, but it certainly does everything I need and is easy enough to use.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    Disclosures:
    Thanks for the many good tips!

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Windows Live Mail is freakin' awesome.

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Windows Live Mail works very good.

13. Been using Incredimail for years. I don't like the web-based clients - too many privacy issues.

14. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Jul 13, 2007
    Wexford, PA
    I've used Thunderbird for years. Some of the older versions were a bit glitchy, but for the past couple of years it's been fine.

15. Hi.

I have actually thought about the Email client lately, since my Gmail account started acting very strangely about three moths ago, and thus I haven't used it for two months or so at all.
    Hotmail did delete all my emails some years back for a few months inactivity, after about 10 years of having that account active.

Regards
    Sam