1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Fretless Jazz pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fourbin, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Fourbin

Fourbin

My friend is building me a fretless 4-string Jazz and I am now in the market for noiseless pickups. Suggestions please? I'm looking for some good, fretless growl with lots of punch.

Thanks!
  2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

My Benavente has a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in the bridge, and it is my favorite sounding pickup any day. Great sounding growl, with excellent clarity, and no hum! Awesome pickups IMO.
  3. Saint

Saint

If you can possibly find them, bartolini 9w4j pickups. These were quadcoil jazz style pickups for fretless bass. I don't think they make them anymore but maybe you can find some new old stock or look on eBay. They are tremendous.
    Also, if you like Victor Wooten's fretless tone, you should look at emg J pickups.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

I have DiMarzio Model J's in my 2002 Fender MIM fretless. I'm using D'adarrio XL's .45-.100 strings.

IMHO this is an excellent combination. I'm very happy with the tone now! :hyper: