1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Fuzz for Metal :D

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Nov 19, 2012.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Haven't seen this thread title yet and had to do it. But in all seriousness, what are your thoughts if you had to have only one fuzz for playing some sort of sludgey doom and stoner metal?

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Sanford and Sonny Bluebeard fuzz.

3. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

4. VeganThump

VeganThump

Fuzzrocious Heliotropic.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gabeja15

Gabeja15

Earthbound Audio Supercollider

7. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Something with 4 KT88's.

But you can't go wrong with a muff based fuzz.

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Oooh yeah! I'm working on that!

9. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

SUF Dirty Rooster, Sovtek Green Muff, Grey Stache, Frantone Bassweet.
    All of them will land you in the sweet spot.

You could even look at a Tall Font Russian from Wren and Cuff or perpahs a Swollen Pickle from Way Huge.

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

I'm just curious what others think. I tried the W&C TFR and felt like it was too polite. I imagine the green Russian would produce similar results. I tried the grey stache and liked it but it became a casualty of gas. I haven't tried a rat tail yet but the YouTube demos don't do much for me. I have a Megalith and a Bluebeard as well as a BDDI and a Darkglass B3K...all are tasty!

11. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Way Huge Swollen Pickle: there is no politeness in this pedal

12. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

I've never heard a Rat Tail/Rat King demo that I liked. That being said, these pedals are AMAZING!! I have a Rat King with clean blend and love it!!

Besides those I highly recommend the TAFM or The Elements. I feel "metal fuzz" really needs to have a good clean blend on them, seeing as your guitarist(s) are probably crazy distorted as well.

13. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

Not that I'm recommending the Rat Tail to you, but it does sound much better than any of the demos. I think Ryan built his following on word of mouth, his demos are not very good. I like the Rat Tail a lot but maybe not for what you're asking for.

The Audio Monk Fuzz Potion is high on my GAS list right now, haven't owned one but you should check it out maybe?

Also the Mountainking Huge Box II or Heavy Machine are worth a look. Same fuzz with different tone controls.

14. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I'm sure the Rat Tail is awesome but its not really a fuzz. Rat-ish pedals are always an excellent choice for metal bass.

If we're going this route then I'd highly suggest a Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass. Not a fuzz but Rat-like and less shrill.

15. slend3r

slend3r

The one and only Grey Stache.

16. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

*Insert favorite muff variant*

17. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

Smallsound/Bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine.

18. willsellout

willsellout

This happens every time these questions are asked. The answer is there is no answer and anyone who starts one of these should get banned :D

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I've tried most of the above - settled on a TAFM for light fuzz duties and a Boss ODB-3 for all out distortion.

20. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I don't think I'm really a fuzz lover after trying to get into fuzzes on several occasions, but the lighter side of the TAFM is really working for me these days! I guess because it can sound very close to chunky amplifier distortion when the Fuzz Volume is left low enough to just add an edge to the clean- can get some very nice John Wetton-esque tones with it. I really liked that tonal profile when I was playing in a stoner-metal band, and wish I'd had the TAFM then instead of the wide variety of Muffish circuits I tried to love (though I did really get along prety well with the Supercollider in that band).

21. alec

alec

From what I've used (TFR, PPB, TAFM, Oxide) the TFR followed by a VT Bass gets my doom engines running.