Best fuzz pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

What is the best fuzz pedal for a distorted sound that isn't too heavy. Kind of like a 60s sound. I hear big muff is good but sounds too heavy metal in the videos.

2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

could you give a reference point? maybe an example of a song? when i think of 60's, i think of a cranked tube amp. any fuzz i can think of has the capability to sound pretty woolly!
    i like the big muff, but there's a bit of low end drop off (at least on mine). the wren and cuff tall font russian and the malekko b:assmaster look awesome as well.

3. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Fender Sub-Lime could probably get a good 60's sound. I have one. It's thick and has a helluva lotta low end. Only downside is it's friggin' huge and takes up space on a board, but that doesn't bother me.

4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Wren & Cuff, take your pick.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

I'll probably get hammered by the boutique fans but the bestest most versatilest bass fuzz I have tried so far is the new EHX bass big muff deluxe. I been through a lot of fuzz. Greystache, mxr BFD, ox fuzz bass fuzz, iron ether oxide, devi bass fuzz and ruiner, just to name a few of the more popular ones around here. The oxide was my favs overall but wasn't the best for live use with a band. Just too loud and over the top. The EHX excels at low gain, low noise big muff fuzz tones and kicking in the low and hi pass filters makes it one of the funkiest fuzzes out there. Best bang for my buck for sure.

7. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i need to try that ehx bass big muff. it gets a lot of mixed reviews on here for sure. seems to be a love it or hate kind of pedal, from what i've read.

8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Go out and play a bunch. It's Christmas.

Check out the QF-2. You want that!

There was a sale on TAFMs recently. You need one of them too.

9. amusicalperson

amusicalperson

MXR Bass Fuzz, definite Geezer "N.I.B." tone. I should be doing a review on mine soon.

10. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician Supporting Member

I love "what's the best..." threads.

11. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

When I think of 60's fuzz I think of like a tone bender.

That's gonna cut out all your bass tho but it sounds cool.

Personally I use a little big muff which doesn't really lose any to my ear... Or with my rig at least.
    It is pretty heavy but I actually use it must on a surfish number wear the guitar is mostly clean.
    When we do hard rock with it on it tends to get lost in the mix.

12. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    I tried a bunch of expensive, fancy fuzzes and I liked this cheap one the best. It's based on a Superfuzz, which is my fav for vintage fuzz tones. It's not good at preserving low end, but it's a disgustingly awesome fuzz tone.

http://guyatone.com/Tz2.php

13. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

14. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    It's good for leads, solo bass lines, or music that doesn't have a super dense mix with layers of heavy guitars... More experimental stuff, which is what I play. If you want to have fuzz and preserve your low end fidelity, you need some sort of splitter or clean blend... I'm not a huge fan of fuzz with a clean blend, myself. To me fuzz is supposed to sound degraded and crappy. That's just me.

Vintage 60's and 70's fuzz tones certainly did not have a clean blend or clear low end. They were all fuzzed out, all the way. You'll get a bit more bass with lower gain settings, but that's about it. Those guys played out of guitar rigs half the time anyway.

15. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Just to be clear, the Guyatone fuzz is a clone of a vintage Superfuzz. It's awesome for bass leads, perhaps the best out there. It is not a "rhythm bass in a rock band" fuzz. It has a bunch of cool ring mod and octave up goodness in it, a la Jimi Hendrix. Anyone who knows the band Soft Machine will recognize it immediately.

16. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I'm actually covering that song with my BFD! Which settings would you use? I'm running it through my B3K.

17. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I thought it qas decent, but found a muff is a muff. Didn't get the definition I wanted, so got the MXR BFD. Just what I wanted! The muff goes on and off the board as I try to like it, but it just doesn't happen. If you like muffs, it's an amzing pedal though!

18. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Then click on the hi/lo pass filter and tweak away. Like no other muff I've heard with all the different tones available with the filters kicked in.

19. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine has a real nice sound that can be mild to heavy, kind of on the brighter side and a bit "saw-toothy" sound but still keeps a lot of low end.

My favorite, though, is the new 3leaf audio You're Doom. You can mix the sound and it is dynamic. Seriously the most fun (and best) sounding pedal that I have ever used.. and that's a lot.

I haven't played the darkglass duality, but it sounds like it might be a bit much for what you're looking for.

20. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Duality is probably too much. Gain is not adjustable so it's not really a mild fuzz. I like it because a lot of finger technique comes into play and you can get a huge range of tones with subtle finger work-all kindsa synthy harmonic sustain and such. Sounds like a scary monster in front of my wah.
    You might want to look at the Deluxe Big Muff- lots of options to back off the more extreme fuzziness.

21. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I preferred it LESS with the filters, but maybe I'll give it another go. Any recommended settings?