1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best fuzz to go with a Wonderlove?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NeroJazz, Feb 18, 2014.

1. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    Hi guys,

I got a 3Leaf Wonderlove a couple of moths ago and have been messing around with putting a fuzz in the fx loop for synth sounds. Currently I'm running a Wren & Cuff TFR, but I'm not completely satisfied. I can't seem to get that fat, juicy synth sound I hear i my head.

Sooooo…. I was wondering what else is out there for this particular application? I'm looking for a fuzz pedal only to pair with filter + octave, it's not going to be used by itself.

Any recommendations?

2. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    If you watch the fuzz wars with the musket fuzz in, they say that depending on how hard you pluck the strings you can easily get a synthy sound out of it.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Going by creator, seems like a You're Doom would be a natural pairing.

5. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Yonkers, NY
    +1

6. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    I use an Iron Ether Oxide in my GR2 loop. Sounds great.

7. What's your typical setting on the Wonderlove?

Do you have any reference example of the sound you're aiming for?

/Kalle

8. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I used a TAFM and Source Audio MWBD with great results.

9. Have you checked out the Moog MiniFooger MF Drive? It's more of a distortion than a fuzz, but it can get really thick and synthy.

Here's a quick sample using the Wonderlove with the T-Rex Octavius and the Moog MF Drive in the Wonderlove fx loop.

The MF Drive is extremely versatile, so consider this just a small taste. I was running the gain on max though. :bassist:

Lasted edited by : Apr 16, 2014
  10. Unemploid

Unemploid

Dec 27, 2011
    i use the mxr bass octave deluxe with the mxr bass fuzz deluxe, it's great for me. the bfd is a very basic fuzz, some would say 70s imspired. you could turn down the dry and increase the wet signal, if that is what u r looking for. i use those pedals with my gretsch g5123b and ampeg.

u may wanna check out the mxr blowtorch.

11. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I'm using a TAFM in my Wonderlove's loop. Sounds killer. I tried to set it up to sound like this...http://youtu.be/b8qq3eCq8vw

I've got a different chorus pedal and a different octave pedal, but I'm close, I still have some tweaking to do.

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I have both a TFR and a YD on my board... I can get thick synthy tones with each, but the YD does take it to another level.

13. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    I love how it sounds with You're Doom
    sometimes I add some MXR octaver in parallel

1:32 - wonderlove with You're Doom in the effect loop
    1:51 - wonderlove with You're Doom in the effect loop and MXR octaver in parallel

Lasted edited by : Apr 16, 2014
  14. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    Another vote for a You're Doom. I'd also recommend an Oxide or TAFM (with gate especially). I prefer gated fuzzes when using envelope filters as they will help the filter close/open much faster...especially when playing staccato.

15. Mound of Sound

Mound of Sound Gold Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Brookline, NH
    You could also try a Chunk Systems Brown Dog. It has a really tight gate setting, and the fuzz can get real synthy sounding. I've never used a Wonderlove, so YMMV.