1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Gallien Krueger Bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player

I'm in the market for a Gallien Krueger bass head and I'm kinda torn between a few of them. I bought a Fusion 550 from Musicians Friend two weeks ago and I loved the sound of it , but it had a crackling issue so I returned it. It may have just been a tube , but I didn't have any tubes to swap them out to see if the problem went away. That said - The GK heads that I am curious about are :

#1 - Fusion 550 (may give another one a try if other people think theirs have been reliable)
    #2 - MB Fusion 800 (When it's released)
    #3 - MB Fusion 500
    #4 - MB 800
    #5 - MB 500
    #6 - 1001 RB
    #7 - 800 RB
    #8 - 700 RB

I'm sure this question has been asked before.
    GK users - What is your favorite GK head (Model and mark)??
    Thanks for your input!
  2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    love my 800RB but its the only GK Ive tried. That Fusion 550 has me gassing though
  3. willyrep

willyrep

Look for a used 800RB-'80s or '90s. They're total tanks and incredibly powerful! Hell I prefer the tone and durability of mine to my Aguilar 500sc.
  4. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player

I used an 800 RB from the mid 80's through the early/mid 90's. It was so long ago and I've used so many different amps in-between that I can't remember much about it. I saw Pinback last month and their bassist (Zach Smith) was rocking a 800 RB through a GK410 and a GK 115 (not sure what series cabs though) and he sounded amazing. We'll he is an amazing bassist thou - that may have helped. lol
  5. willsellout

willsellout

Does he realize that a 410 +115 sounds like crap?:rollno::D

My vote goes towards either the 400RB, 800RB, or most recently the Fusion 550.
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    He must not read Talk Bass :D
  7. puremusic

puremusic

I have the 700RBII and I like it alot but I am looking to get a MB Fusion 500 or 800 in the near future.
  8. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player

The three GK heads that are my front runners are the Fusion 550 (should I try another one?) , the MB Fusion 500 , and the GK 1001 RB-II. Your input may change my thought process thou.

I just need to sell my GB SM9.2 first though so I can afford to buy a different head.
  9. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Did you hear it you're self? How do you know it sounds like crap, quit drinkin the koolaid, Why does Flea use a 4x10/1x15 rig, or Victor Wooten, if the owner of the rig likes it why should you care?.
  10. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player

I talked to him after the show and he said it wasn't his normal speaker set-up , but he had to go with it for this show.

All I can say is that if you heard him through that rig - your may chage your tune on that statement. It may not work for all people , but it worked for him that night. I was amazed by his playing and bass sound (Tone). It was incredible.
    I've been playing bass almost 30 years and I've heard many good sounding bass rigs , and many bad sounding rigs. That was a great sounding rig (I was front row and 15 ft. from his amp) , but I'm not sure what pedals he was using.
  11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    He was being sarcastic
  12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The Fusion 550 has and is my favorite for years now. 800RB second but to be fair a 700RB II was in contention before the 550 can up. I haven't played the micros since the MB2-500 which I liked but wanted a full size head with the HMS (biamp).
  13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I've had a few but the 800RB, to me, is the best.
  14. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah the 550, is jaw dropping in person. Huge punchy sound. I'm not a fan of the auto knobs, but everything else about that head is first rate!
  15. 2milehighspike

Maybe so, I apologize if I was rude, but the whole, saying something sucks because everybody else says it sucks thing gets kinda old.
  16. willsellout

willsellout

My post was purely sarcasm based on the speaker guru's attitudes towards mixing speakers. I played a 410 + 115 for years and loved it.
  17. 2milehighspike

Right on , my bad, because I think it sounds great too!:D
  18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

700RBII ftw
  19. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I currently own two of those.

1001 RBII
    700 RBII

I've twice owned the 800RB

Plus I also have the MB200 micro head and I've had the MB150 combo in the past.

I've tried lots of other heads but GK just works for me and I keep coming back to them. There's no best, it all depends on the sound you're looking for and the power you need.
  20. 2milehighspike

Oh yea, I love my MB800, friggin rock crusher, the 700RBII is right up there though.