1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Gallien Krueger Combo Amp.?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by devinp17, Mar 17, 2014.

1. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew what the best Gallien Krueger Combo Amp is?? Could you maybe tell me which one is the highest quality and which has the most headroom etc.? I've read that a lot of the combo's don't have very much headroom and that they sometimes die during gigs. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks! :)

2. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

My opinion (having personally owned every model of GK combo made in the last 4 or 5 years).

The MB212 series ll,,,,,, 500watts into 2 12" drivers, loud as hell with headroom to spare in almost any situation.

GK or any other brand can die during a gig,, no amp or brand is perfect,,,,, but one thing that is really important is GK has amazing customer support !!!!

If your buying new from a music retailer or Amazon get an extended warranty.

Cheers
    Davyo

3. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

Thanks Davyo! I was wondering if you knew how well they do with a drummer (and the rest of the band)? Just wanna make sure before I get one...

4. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

I have been using a MB210 for a little over a year for some gigs and rehearsals...that thing is solid! I have never had an issue with not enough juice to compete with the drummer. I am personally a 10" guy....so, that's where my vote would go.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Ohhhhh,,,,, the MB212 ll will do just fine in just about any band,,, even a really loud band.

I've used the MB212 with my loud rock cover bands in some pretty big rooms and never had to even push the amp.

As far as 10's,,, yep,,, the MB210 that "Thump" mentioned is great as well.

At the moment that's what I'm using,, an MB210 combo with the MBE210 ext cab for 500 watts into a 4x10 stack and it sounds epic (I currently have my stack listed on the classifieds here for sale at a very low price if your interested),,,,,, I'm selling my GK 4x10 stack because I need a "one cabinet" solution.

In my band I'm hauling the whole PA system, all of my guitar players equitment and all of my bass gear,,,,, I'm running out of room using my HHR Chevy mini panel van, so to scale down I'm going back to the MB212 and selling off my 4x10 stack.

If your not in a super loud punk or metal band playing big venues then the MB210 or the MB212 will work fine with headroom to spare.

Hope that helped a bit.

Cheers
    Davyo

7. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Almost twenty years old and still rockin': my faithful MB150 (100 large watts -150 with extra speaker). I only bought a new one (mb500 head+Neo 112) when I needed more power onstage playing bass guitar.
    I really like the new MB ones, anyway.

8. thebreakman

thebreakman Supporting Member

I'm pretty pleased with my GK MB115-II. Plenty of headroom. I use this for smaller gigs/rehearsals. I like 10's better as well but this is a nice combo.

9. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

I'm ASTOUNDED there aren't many/any reviews of these new MB series rigs. Over on the GK club page I don't see much chatter about them. If it's a quality rig, I don't see how the MB212ii isn't the perfect rig (especially when you have the MBP extension).

Makes me skeptical.

10. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Right boot. Got it. Supporting Member

I can't say it's the best because I haven't had any other GK combos, but the 1001RB II NEO 212 is quite impressive.
    Plenty of power, not too big or too heavy, and very portable with the tilt-back wheels & bottom casters.

[​IMG]

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Its depends - for example, I think my little tiny 100W GK MB110 bass combo amp is the best GK bass combo for my bedroom, living room jams, and café gigs. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB110

But if you want big volume - checkout the GK MB212-II (500 watts into two 12s). http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB212-II

Or the GK MB212-II/MBP for 1000 watts into four 12s. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/new-amp-day-gk-mb212-iiand-mbp212-1037536/