1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Gig Bag for a Fender Custom Shop 5 String Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swpyne, Aug 31, 2013.

1. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

I have been using ProTec Contego bags (I have two) for several years and they have met my needs quite well.

I just got a Fender Custom Shop 5 String Jazz Bass and I find that the headstock is too big to fit properly in the ProTec Contego Bag. The size of the headstock and the length of the tuners make it a VERY tight fit. Basically I have to force it in and I don't want to have to do that.

Anyone out there have a suggestion as to which gig bag would be the better choice for one of these Custom Shop Jazz Basses?

Obviously I'm not looking at low end bags and I do want something similar to the Contego as far as pockets and storage space goes.

Any ideas?
  2. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    I have a 6 string Fender Jazz (Steve Bailey) and it fits no problem.

Cheers,
    Cameron
  3. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Congrats on your Fender, im slapping the hell out of mine right now. Even the new standard/deluxe non custom shop jazz basses are beyond the old custom shop line IMO
  4. swpyne

Yeah, I've owned a couple of the 2012 Deluxe J 5's and they certainly were nice. This Custom Shop is a 2009 and it seems like a step up to me but who can really say. It is a slap-machine though, wow! I'm enjoying it for sure.
  5. swpyne

I'll check one of those out, thanks!
  6. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

To me its the updated electronics and the compound radius fingerboard that makes the biggest difference, specially on the 5 string. Massive low B and incredible action, what is there not to like about Fender nowadays?
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Congrats. As an aside, I personally like the pre 2009 Fender V's better than the newer ones. I used to have a iGig bag and that was real roomie for my Fenders. Good luck.
  8. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

I am going to completely hi-jack this thread...without shame.

I am inclined to fiercely disagree, but i assume your opinion has some fact behind it, or maybe personal preference, so i have to ask...

Why?
  9. Doug Parent

Oh no problem. My preferences are for slightly thicker rounder neck profiles. The older ones were thicker. I like and use the 22nd fret. The new ones are 21 frets. I like the SCN pickups-they way they sound. Thats about it. I like the new ones in terms of the Ash natural clear finishes, that looks cool. I can live without the blocks or binding. The new ones are just as noisy as the older ones.

It just a preference and what I like after having tried them.
  10. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

hmm, that makes complete sense. I like the new neck, and im a big fan of blocks and binding. To each their own.

That must be the first time on TB two people had their difference of opinion on Fender and it didnt turn into a massacre.
  11. Doug Parent

;)
  12. swpyne

Thanks Guys, now back to the bag question. Any suggestions other than the iGIG?
  13. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

I use the Reunion blues Continental Electric Bass Guitar Case. Its almost not a gig bag its so tough. I don't have a fender custom shop, but I've used it for several Lulls in 35" scale and my Sadowsky. They fit in there great. That bag runs something like $200 new tho. I found mine used for under $100.
    http://reunionblues.com/product/174/RBB4

I have also had a mono M80 and the Protect before. At one time I had two of the reunion blues bags and a mono M80, sold the M80 and kept the Reunions. I love this bag. I can just lay by bass in the back of my SUV and not worry about it sliding around or banging into something. The M80 was a great bag too, but got edged out by the reunion by just a little.
    Also just fyi the M80 is a little thinner maybe 1.5 inches front to back, which I liked, but the Reunion just felt much tougher.
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Mono Vertigo
    Mono M80
    Reunion Blues
    Sadowsky Portabag

All great bags. I use both Mono bags on a very regular basis and they're excellent. Very lightweight with good protection. I also have a Sadowsky bag that is great, but it's heavier than the Mono's. It does have much more storage space though...
  15. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Aero from Reunion Blues is my new favorite followed by Levy leather bag.
  16. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

+1 on the Monos. I have a Vertigo and a Dual and they will hold my freakishly long 35" 5 string with room to spare.
  17. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Hey Spencer, I have a Fender Custom Shop Reunion Blues gig bag on it's way to me to use for my American Deluxe Jazz V, I'll let you know how it is once I get it. - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-custom-shop-reunion-blues-gig-bag

I second the Mono too, I had an m80 bass bag for a while and plan on getting a vertigo sometime this year (sold the m80 with a bass as a package deal and wish I wouldn't have).
  18. swpyne

Nice, I like that one Andy, thanks. So, are you ever going to sell me the bass in your avatar? I've been waiting a long time now!
  19. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Here ya go Spencer, got the reunion blues fender custom shop bag in this week, very nice and very pleased. I need to see how waterproof it is (nice thing about the Mono) but it's extremely well made and padded, my fender 5er fits nice-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I have one of those Fender/Reunion Blues gig cases...? Very well made and nice fit for the Fender V. However, the storage is a bit difficult to get to. A very stiff outer shell. A little pricey, as well.