Best Gig Bag for SKB Bass Safe

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jonesy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy

Hi all,
    I'm doing a rare fly in gig in April and decided I would really like to bring my 78 fretless P-bass rather than rent one.
    I have never flown with a bass before. Per others recommendations on this site, I bought an SKB Bass Safe for the trip. (and a velcro strap to tie the 2 halves together, Thanks Jimmy!) However, the only gig bag I own now seems to cheap and flimsy for this application. I've visited a couple local music stores and their selection of bass gig bags was pretty small and I didn't see anything that seemed much better than what I already have. So it seeems I'll need to order a bag on-line. Does anyhone have any recommendations for a solid gig bag that will fit in the bass safe?

Thanks,
    John
  2. cripula

cripula Supporting Member

I've flown a lot with basses in both Glenn Cronkhite and Levys leather bags in the bass safe. No problems.
    I think the Cronkhite bags are as nice as they come.
  3. Reddog01

Reddog01

The BEST is a Cronkhite gig bag. he used to be the designer for Reunion Blues, but left many years ago and started his own line of bags. Perhaps the next best would be Reunion Blues. Neither of these are cheap in quality or price.
  4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

I use a Carvin GB45 gig bag. Very well made and only $44. Fits perfect in the Bass Safe.

Here is an added protection tip I do. I took one of those foamy pool noodles and sliced it in half. Then I used one half on bottom of the gig bag wrapping around the edge of the body, than used the other half on the top of the gig bag, going around headstock. Provides a little extra protection if the Bass Safe is dropped on either end. Flown with my Sadowsky and '72 Jazz and never had an issue.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy

Thanks all for the tips. I like the pool noodle idea!
    I was thinking about stuffing a couple of tee-shirts and a pair of jeans into the neck area of the Bass Safe before sticking the bass in there. Does this seem like a reasonable idea? Or a bad idea?
  6. basspedaler

basspedaler

7. Jonesy

Jonesy

According to the SKB site, this case is 1/4" longer than the interior measurement of the bass safe. But, if it fit, it would be perfect. I already own a similar product that is also too large.

I'd sure like to order a Cronkite or Reunion Blues bag, but they are a little too rich for my blood.

I just stumbled across a Levy's CMP8 bag on line and ordered it off Amazon for $59.99 with shipping. It supposedly has 1" of padding all round the instrument which is at least twice as thick as any of the bags I've seen in my local stores. It also appears to be close to the same shape and size as the interior of the bass safe.
    I'll post back a review once I put a few miles on it.

Thanks again all for your input!

John
  8. Roger M

Roger M Gold Supporting Member

Check out Jimmy Mouradian's gig bags too
  9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Does anybody know for certain whether or not a Mono M80 fits an SKB BassSafe?

(I suppose an M80 Dual would be too much wishful thinking...)
  10. mexibass

mexibass

Reviving the thread with a similar question, does anybody know if a protect contego will fit the Bass Safe?
  11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

I have the Mono Vertigo gig bag which does not fit. Probably due to the big boot on the bottom.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I found the Carvin gig bags work great in the Bass Safe. They are very well made and not at all expensive. I just used mine when I went to Victor Wooten's Bass Camp. Had my beloved '72 Jazz with me!
  12. mexibass

mexibass

Hi John, so, did the Levy work?
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy

Yes! It worked well and my bass made it safely to CA and back. (FWIW, I flew via US Airways)
    IMHO, the Levy CM8P is well made and a perfect fit for the Bass Safe.
  14. mexibass

mexibass

Sweet! Thanks, we'll see how my travel goes!