1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best gig classifieds outside CL?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Feb 1, 2014.

1. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

Hi all. I am (once again) between bands after finding the last project not too satisfactory. I seem to vacillate between groups that have more ambition than talent and groups that have more talent than ambition. It would probably be easier if I wasn't also a full-time biomedical research type. Anyway, I once again turned to CL to post my services and found that it has gotten really nasty in the talent section, so I suspect not that many people use it anymore. I used to see tons of listings for each kind of instrument; no more.

What is the best classifieds-style venue to post your talent for hire on the 'net these days? Obviously I'm wanting to look for gigs in my own back yard, I figure any decent site will have that kind of local element. Is Gigfinder worth it?
  2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Um, hey buddy, you're in the wrong Craigslist section.
    Under the COMMUNITY heading is a musicians section.
  3. thiocyclist

Woops. You're right. It's been so long I forgot.

Why did they put it under "community"...?
  4. dangerouscello

dangerouscello I wore a suit under this Supporting Member

Haha that's funny. Unless you're an 18 year old college girl who doesn't mind taking her top off for an "artsy" photo shoot, the talent section isn't going to be what you want!
  5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

CL around here is a wasteland of wannabe's and no-talent hacks. Once a month a "real" opportunity arise IF you play classic rock and want to play dive bars. Bandmix is no better. The only way that's worked for me to get out there on the scene and rub elbows with bands that are playing the kind of music I want to do ... ie, become "known" in local circles. All of my current projects (country band, two duos (different singer/songwriters), a new acoustic project just getting started, and many one-off gigs and sub opportunities) started AFTER I met the rest of the players. Not to mention that I already know that I can get along with the other players because I know them.
  6. thiocyclist

What especially helped fool me is there were a few dozen music listings in that section, but yeah, mostly nude model crap.