1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best gigging amp for small to medium venues

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cdseverance, Feb 20, 2012.

1. cdseverance

cdseverance

Hi. I am just here to get some idea's on the best ( and loudest) amp rig that is portable.......without having to haul a ton of gear around. I used to use strickly GK....and have always wondered about tens. Are they worth spending money on since they can't hit the depth of a 15"? Everyones idea's would be highly appreciated.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

It's more about surface area than it is about the size of the speakers. 4x10's will have more surface than 1x15, so all other factors being the same you should get more volume out of a 4x10 cab at the same power. (There is a butt load of math that goes into speaker design, but that's my take in a nutshell.)

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

They cant?

Driver size is only one variable that dictates how a cab will sound, and its among the least important. Most modern commercial cabs with 10" speakers go lower and louder than most modern commercial cabs with 15" speakers. Now if you get into the realm of well engineered cabs, yes 15" speakers get you louder with a single driver, and with low frequency offerings in 12" and 15" speakers they will get you lower as well (recently new 10" LF options have been announced, but we have yet to see them implemented). But for generic commercial cabs, more cone area = louder. Larger cone diameter =/= anything.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I used a small GK Backline 115 for small venues for several years. It's easy to haul, fits in the passenger seat of my car, isn't over the top powerful, and still puts out enough clean and bottomy bass for my needs. I've also DI'd it a few times with good success.
    But since I got the Markbass LM3 rig the GK has been retired to my project studio, where it works great as a practice amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I always used a 410 cab these days. I like the tone I am getting out of 10's vs. 12s or 15s.

A 410 is overkill for most small gigs, but I like having the headroom AND my 410 is on casters.... So it isn't that hard to move around.

I am using a Mesa M9 head with the 410. Again, overkill, but I like having headroom.

I used to run a GK 1001RB-II with a 410 and it also can sound great... And loud if needed.

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

All loudspeakers are not equal but generally 15s are louder than 12s and likewise 12s are normally louder than 10s. Let me ask you a question, when you say “small venue” - you mean small events with sound reinforcement and not some small bar right - yes, no? And when you say “medium venue” how many seats are you talking about?

8. cdseverance

cdseverance

It will probably be a small bar. Medium venue 2-300?

9. Russell L

Russell L

I am digging my Markbass Little Mark III head and dual Markbass Traveler 151P cabs. For most gigs I use just one cab. The tone is truly awesome, especially with both cabs. I can get old school and new school sounds from it.

For more of the old school sound you might also enjoy flatwound strings. I do.

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yea, you don’t need a very big bass rig for small bar gigs, but 300 people is a good size little room - will your larger room gigs have sound reinforcement? I have few more questions, are you in a really loud band, IE - power trio, metal, punk, etc? What GK bass rig did you use to have, also what is your budget? And the last question is what’s wrong with your Markbass Little Mark III, 151P cab and 121H combo?

11. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

I use an Ampeg PF500 into an Ampeg 810 for larger/medium venues. For smaller stuff I use the matching Ampeg PF115he cabinet with the PF500.

12. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Aguilar TH500 would be my choice for the amp, then any decent 2x10" cabinet or upwards.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Hey, Joe, are you confusing me with the OP? I have those pieces of equipment, and I'm using and loving all of them.

I have all my situations covered now that I also have a new 151P to add to my other 151P. Heh, I tried the LMIII and both 151Ps against an Amber VR and 810 last night. My rig ruled, IMO. Really! The Ampeg could get louder, that's all.

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi Russell and thank you. Oops, yes my mistake - it looks like I somehow combined your signature with the OP post - it must of been a long day yesterday. I’m thinking the OP might have best results with a nice 500-600w amp and two 8ohm cabinets - use both cabs at the bigger gigs and use just one cab at the smaller gigs. Maybe stick with GK since it’s known the OP likes GK? Anyway, it looks like the OP is in good hands here so I’m going to bailout of this thread - and thanks again.

15. pgullo64

pgullo64 Supporting Member

I use a Tonehammer 500 and a 4 ohm epifani 2-10 cabinet - works for all my gigs - smaller bars - to mid size events at catering halls, etc. Anything larger we have FOH support so the rig is great for stage volume in thoses situations. Also fits in the trunk of my 2 door sedan

You wont miss the single 15 cab - try either a 2-10 or if yo think you will need some serious volume get a 2-12 instead.

16. mixamatchi

mixamatchi

My fEarful 15/6 only weighs about 50#s. I drive it with a Carvin BX1500, and LOVE it. I much prefer it over my old 4/10, as it is half the weight, and definately louder with much better bottom. As has previously been said, bottom is NOT a function of driver diameter, but of driver capability and cab design. Modern drivers are much more capable than they used to be.

17. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

I was looking for the same as you a few months ago.

Got this......GK MB500 + GK 410mbe/4 ohm (500w @ 45 lbs total) You can easily research all the features. With discount - paid about $725
    Thumbs Up! :D

18. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I run a fEARful 12/6 and add a 12/sub if I need more volume. I run a preamp/HD1500 so I have plenty of power. I'm looking at the BX500 for smaller gigs as well. So I say 12/6 and the micro head of your choice and you have a rig that's under 50lbs total. Under 45lbs if you by one of the lighter micro heads (GK, TH500, etc)