1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best glue for wood veneers for lined fretless neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by outbackyak, Apr 6, 2014.

1. outbackyak

outbackyak

Hi - I have a short scale fretless bass, which used to be fretted. When I had a repairer remove the frets many years ago, he filled the fret slots with a glue/powdered wood mix that at the time was a pale blonde against the rosewood fingerboard. With age, that blonde has turned dark brown, so it's indistinguishable from the rosewood. Not good!

So, my plan is to re-cut the fret slots and use a pale hardwood veneer to till the fret slots, as in this great How To http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/how-lined-fretless-fingerboard-408403/

But! What's the best glue for gluing the veneers in? It doesn't say in the how to - is that just standard PVA wood working glue in the picture? Or maybe it's an aliphatic resin glue? What's best? Any suggestions for good makes and types of glue will be greatly appreciated!

"BTW: Yes, I've searched this sub-forum. No, I can't find the answers!]

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I use CA glue

3. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I've done this as well with ca glue. Works great!

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Move people I've seen doing it seem to use titebond.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scotch

Disclosures:
    I would use titebond if I were going to then finish the fretboard with a hard coat. If the board is going to be left unfinished, I like the added hardness of the ca glue. Those veneer pieces look great, but I worry about them absorbing moisture and splitting out someday if left 'raw'.

7. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
    I did mine with titebond.

8. gmjhowe

gmjhowe

I used CA (aka super glue) for this project.

Following research and advice from this forum.
    Actually really easy to work with. I used walnut veneer for the inlay.

[​IMG]

Came out really well, I finished it with epoxy resin.

[​IMG]

9. scotch

Disclosures:
    Ca on this U-Bass defret. Same approach as gmjhowe:

[​IMG]

The piece of veneer I used had some dark streaks in the grain. It left some dark areas in the profile. I would avoid that next time. Otherwise, it worked really well! Unfinished rosewood board with the light ash really pops I think! The ca glue nicely 'penetrated' into the ash veneer giving it some added strength (I used thinned superglue from StewMac).

10. outbackyak

outbackyak

Wow, thanks for all your helpful information, everyone. That really gives me the info I need. My plan is to go for the full two-part epoxy, multi-coat finish.

I know that I don't need to do this on a rosewood neck, especially since I use flatwound Chromes (I'm not going for the Jaco sound, more a smooth old school sound that fits well with the jazz standards I am currently playing (badly, as per my signature).

But I think the epoxy finish will look fantastic on the rosewood and pale veneer neck. I've not decided on what wood I will use for the veneer, so thanks for the tip about the ash you used, Scotch. I will definitely go for a veneer with an even colour.

11. gmjhowe

gmjhowe

The one special tool I would recommend investing in is a radius block. I think the main reason mine came out so well is because I used one.

Also, I use stanley knife/boxcutter blades as scrapers to get through the epoxy initially.

scotch likes this.