Best harmonizer pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassOrdinaire, Jan 27, 2013.

1. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

Recently, I've begun working on a folk/black/doom album, and have been incorporating the bowed upright bass where I can. I've found that the arco sound is ultra-fantabulous running through the intelligent harmony mode on the Boss PS-5. I can really get some great orchestral, cello-like melodies. However, the tracking on the PS-5 is unreliable to say the least, especially in the lower registers. When it works, it sounds great, but I can't depend on it in a live setting. So now I'm on the hunt for a harmonist that can track low and with reasonably thick vibrato. I know there's probably not anything perfect out there, but I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give some insight into your experiences with different stompboxes.

I've been looking at the following units:

1) DigiTech HM2 HarmonyMan (I was impressed with a demo video)

2) Boss PS-6 (I don't know just how much of an improvement it is over the PS-5, though)

3) Eventide Pitchfactor (this seems to be the most highly regarded on the web, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money)

I would also probably use it for playing leads on guitar. Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS: I would post this in the DB forums, but there wasn't any forum for effects and I thought you guys would know more.
  2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

EHX H.O.G.

It can pitch shift just about anything: I run all my analog octavers, dirt and even massive fuzz and it handles it all very well. (Check my profile for my pedal order) I also have some videos on YouTube that showcase some of the HOG's abilities on bass guitar
  3. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

The HOG is great but it's not a harmonizer - it will shift specific intervals but has no intelligence yo harmonize. The Boss PS6 is a quantum leap forward over the PS5 if you do want true harmony capabilities at a relatively low price. The Pitchfactor is king but then you pay for that privelidge.
  4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

well played good sir....:bassist:
  5. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

I think the local Guitar Center has a PS-6, so I'll bring my PS-5 there and compare them. I do like the larger interface of the Eventide and Digitech though.
  6. ---C---

---C---

wait for eventide's h9...
  7. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

It's worth the extra money.

Or, as ---C--- so wisely stated, wait for Eventide's H9 and rule the world in harmony!

EDIT: once the H9 is available, used Pitchfactor units will very likely plummet in price and suddenly become plentiful in the classifieds (IMO).
  8. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

The pitchfactor is as good as you'll get. I love mine. However once this H9 comes out (end of march I believe) You might as well get that. Street price is gonna be 500 and it can do everything the pitchfactor can do and then some. Of course you could also snag a used pitchfactor for cheaper after the H9 comes out because everybody will sell them to fund their new H9. Don't pay for what your not gonna use or don't need
  9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I'm skeptical of this idea that the H9 directly replaces the Pitchfactor, for two reasons:

(1) Only a few of the Pitchfactor's effects are included by default, you have to buy the rest
    (2) You have all of the Pitchfactor's knobs at your disposal directly, the H9 looks like you have to dig into it a little more and/or have an iOS device
    (3) Similarly, the Pitchfactor gives you three footswitches on the unit itself (up to six with an aux switch) as compared to 2/5 with the H9

Of course, this is coming from a guy who just bought a Pitchfactor 3 weeks ago (albeit at a pretty good used price), so take it for what it's worth...
  10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

But you also get the eventide modfactor, timefactor, and blackhole....
  11. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Honestly pitchfactor seemed to be an overkill to use just for a simple harmonized, its like cutting the scales of a fish with a longsword...
  12. Musicman1901

I agree. I was sick of trying to find a bass whammy so I bought a pitchfactor and I honestly dont use about 80% of its features
  13. Adamixoye

That's true, but again, you only get a fraction of what those pedals do and then you have to buy the rest. The H9 only comes loaded with H910, H949, and Crystals from the Pitchfactor---not even the Diatonic, which is the effect most relevant to the OP. I'm also not clear if you can combine multiple effects from each unit, so that's potentially a severe limitation compared to owning each unit separately. And btw, the Black Hole is not the pedal, it's a specific effect on the Space pedal.

If that is all you're using it for, I suppose that's true. But to me it's so much more. I don't use the Diatonic/Quadravox modes for straight up harmonies, I prefer to use them for arpeggios and octave echos (and have used them live). The pitchshifting capabilities are a huge deal to me. The Harmodulator is a fun toy (still working on getting it to make sense live). The Micropitch is my new chorus. Octaver, Synthonizer, and Harpeggiator are also lots of fun, although again I won't be using them live in my current playing outlets.
  14. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

It's more like scaling a fish with a complete set of pro quality chef's knives...you have many choices. Like any incredibly powerful tool (AutoCAD and Protools come to mind) of course you're probably not going to use all its features. That isn't the point, the choices are.

The OP wants a harmonizer and right now the Pitchfactor is by miles and miles the best option available in a stompbox. I don't know anything about the H9 but from what's been posted here it doesn't sound like it's going to all of a sudden make the Pitchfactor obsolete.
  15. Adamixoye

Wanted to add that I love Crystals too (though that's included in the H9 by default).

16. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

Thanks for all the advice. Pretty sure I'll do like you guys suggested and just wait for the H9, and then hope the Pitchfactor price drops a bit on the used market, at least temporarily. Watching some promo vids has really turned me on to this thing!
  17. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

yah gotta admit pitchfactor might be an overkill but it is the best pitch related pedals in the market...
  18. LegoBass

LegoBass

I got a PS-6 to use for the trio I am in, just to thicken things up. It was terrible. It couldn't track at all, (especially notes under a C) played wrong harmonies, played out of key, and sounded super digital and fake. I returned it within two days of getting it, total waste of time for me. I don't know if anyone else has had any luck with it, but I would not recommend.

Okay, sorry to derail the Eventide H9/Pitchfactor debate. Please continue. ;)
  19. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

I have to second that PS-6 experience.
    I got one for free from a friend and tried to make it work for me for some time. The tracking was not as terrible as above (but not great either), but it had very noticeable latency and the sound was indeed super digital and fake. It was useless to me, so I gave it to another friend, who sold it (or at least tried to) a bit later...
  20. Musicman1901

This:)