1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best "High End" 5 string Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by breen gurdy, Feb 23, 2014.

1. breen gurdy

breen gurdy Supporting Member

Hey, Im in the market for a nice 5 string jazz. I just wanted to hear some opinions of the more high end jazz basses that are out there. I've been checking out Fodera NYC, Mtd Saratoga, Alleva Coppolo, Xotic etc....Give me some feedback please!!!
  2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Tell us what tones YOU want, what finishes YOU like, what kind of music YOU play, what kind of amps YOU use, and MAYBE you'll get some useful advice here. There are a lot of boutique Jazzes out there, and they all have their fans.
  3. breen gurdy

Very true Sid Fang! I like a brighter tone but not overwhelmingly bright. Something punchy and deep but also has that snap when I pull a little harder. In terms of a finish it doesnt really matter to me...I'd go for a nice wood top or your classic jazz look. I typically play Funk, Rnb, Soul, Hip Hop, Reggae...I use all Epifani gear in terms of heads and cabinets. I really dig Nordstrand's single coils, big splits, or big singles paired with an Aguilar Ob3...To me that is "the" set up in terms of pickups and preamps. I tend to lean towards 18mm string spacing and have more recently been into the shorter scale stuff (30"-33") but again that doesnt make or break an instrument for me.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Spector Coda
  5. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

I'd look into Pavel. My Jazz Pro Deluxe is amazing. I hear great things about Alleva Coppolo and Sadowsky, but have never played one. Nordstrand, Lakland and Low end are also great.
  6. breen gurdy

@Funk Generator I've played some Alleva's and absolutely loved them. They're just really pricey and seem hard to come by used. I was never really into Sadowsky's either..I know they make great stuff but for some reason I was just never into them. Im gonna look into Pavel's tho so thank you!!
  7. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

Look at Low end jazz basses by Brian Barrett- very nice customized (high end) basses, sound amazing and Brians customer service is 2nd to none.
  8. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

A bummer I just moved from NYC a few weeks ago. Would have let you try mine!
  9. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Sadowsky's are pretty amazing.
  10. jazzenfunk

jazzenfunk Supporting Member

Ive played and owned most of them. I have been playing Carvin sb5000 for 3 yrs and never looked back. Not exactly high end but imho as good if not better for my style which is close to yours. That being said, if you want to throw your $$ around LEJ is my vote for best boutique 5 string jazz. Ive owned 3 of them and they are the best. I suggest you try a used Carvin you can always sell it.
  11. MSIMSBASS

MSIMSBASS

Fender American Deluxe
  12. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

Yamaha BBNE2 (Nathan East Signature Model)

13. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Dingwall Super J

You can find used ones with the Aguilar OPB-3. Otherwise, I think the current Glockenkang pre-amps will suit you well also.
  14. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

If you want to save yourself a few thousand just go with a Carvin SB5000, it can hang with any jazzer mentioned here, even surpasses some.
  16. oboylebass

oboylebass

One time I was at a music store in New Haven and they had a USA Lakland Joe Osborn 5 string. Alder/rosewood, might have had a preamp. Thing was sick. Best 5 string I ever played.
  17. Lo-E

Lo-E

"Best" is certainly relative, but A-C ended up being best for me. Since mine was made, however, a lot of really fine contenders have hit the scene.

When I bought my A-C, the things I liked about it were: 'vintage'-style appointments, wide fingerboard, great low B, great pickups and incredible build quality. He was still in NYC at the time, so I also liked that he was local.

What I'm not so crazy about is the preamp, which is boost-only and pretty aggressive. I'll probably end up changing it at some point.

Sadowsky's are great, and Roger's a very nice guy, but I didn't play any at the time that I really liked the feel of, and he kinda goes for more of a modern vibe, which I didn't dig.

Since the time I bought it, Valenti has gotten more established (really nice builds, and he'll build anything you want - for great prices) and Mas Hino has started his own shop and is building great 5-string Jazzes. Both of these guys are local to NYC.

I'm not suggesting you won't get a fantastic bass from some of the other builders out there - you almost certainly will - but, personally, I like the idea of supporting local builders so that played a part in my decision.
  18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

There's "High End" and then there's "HIGH FREAKING END" -

Me, I thought my Zon's & Laklanes were high-end basses. Silly me. Fodera / MTD / Lawrence / Sadowsky etc - THOSE puppies are high-end.

So pick a $$ range for "high end" - $1K to $2K, $2K to $3K or higher?
  19. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Get a custom made with a graphite neck and a mahogany body with your choice of hardware, pickups pre, finish. Thank me later.
  20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I owned a few Alembics that I really liked.