Best HZ setting for Bass Gtr

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MEKer, Feb 8, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Speaking in only general terms----what specific bass HZ settings for Low, Lo MIds, Hi Mids and Hi are more likely to result is a fat, round jazz tone on DAW recording (have Cubase).
    As an experiment, I set the HZ levels at
    1.Lows: 62 Hz
    2.Lo Mids: 530 Hz
    3.Hi Mids: 1200 HZ
    4.Hi: 1510 Hz

Presence was Stressed in the following order of importance
    3 (very close to 2 on the curve)
    4 (with sharp drop off)

It did sound pretty good, but man, I was guessing!
    Anyone straighten me out, please?

2. Chromer

Chromer

"Fat" = saturated low frequencies
    "Round" = gentle attack

I think I'd be looking at a "character" compressor (1176?) more than an EQ, probably after an amp simulator. Then maybe a multiband compressor or a transient designer to further soften the attack by clamping down on the top-end transients.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    At what amount of cut or boost, and at what bandwidth??

4. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Disclosures:
    Solder Jockey at VFE Pedals
    -For lows I tend to go a bit higher, like 90-100hz
    -I do a very deep, narrow cut around 130-135 to get rid of the boomy, boxy sound.
    -Low mids around 450-500
    -I've known a few Jbass guys that really like to boost around 800 hz a bit. When I play with a pick to cut the hell out of it (well, most everything between 300-900hz actually) because I go for a grindy Pick tone, but when I play fingerstyle I find that a little 800-850 peak adds a certain punch.
    -For highs I tend to tweak 1.2k, 1.5k, 2.9k, and 5k depending on the mix. The higher highs are more for a Pick tone, but 1-1.5k are definitely of concern for mixing a Fingerstyle tone.

Mostly I'm talking about doing Post-EQ stuff within the DAW itself, not the amp. I usually run the amp fairly transparent and flat. Maybe a little low-mid contouring, but that's about it. Depends on the source amp/DI.

5. Register to disable this ad