1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best HZ setting for Bass Gtr

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MEKer, Feb 8, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member Supporting Member

Speaking in only general terms----what specific bass HZ settings for Low, Lo MIds, Hi Mids and Hi are more likely to result is a fat, round jazz tone on DAW recording (have Cubase).
    As an experiment, I set the HZ levels at
    1.Lows: 62 Hz
    2.Lo Mids: 530 Hz
    3.Hi Mids: 1200 HZ
    4.Hi: 1510 Hz

Presence was Stressed in the following order of importance
    3 (very close to 2 on the curve)
    4 (with sharp drop off)

It did sound pretty good, but man, I was guessing!
    Anyone straighten me out, please?
  2. Chromer

Chromer

"Fat" = saturated low frequencies
    "Round" = gentle attack

I think I'd be looking at a "character" compressor (1176?) more than an EQ, probably after an amp simulator. Then maybe a multiband compressor or a transient designer to further soften the attack by clamping down on the top-end transients.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

At what amount of cut or boost, and at what bandwidth??
  4. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Disclosures:
    Fret Smithe, BGP
    -For lows I tend to go a bit higher, like 90-100hz
    -I do a very deep, narrow cut around 130-135 to get rid of the boomy, boxy sound.
    -Low mids around 450-500
    -I've known a few Jbass guys that really like to boost around 800 hz a bit. When I play with a pick to cut the hell out of it (well, most everything between 300-900hz actually) because I go for a grindy Pick tone, but when I play fingerstyle I find that a little 800-850 peak adds a certain punch.
    -For highs I tend to tweak 1.2k, 1.5k, 2.9k, and 5k depending on the mix. The higher highs are more for a Pick tone, but 1-1.5k are definitely of concern for mixing a Fingerstyle tone.

Mostly I'm talking about doing Post-EQ stuff within the DAW itself, not the amp. I usually run the amp fairly transparent and flat. Maybe a little low-mid contouring, but that's about it. Depends on the source amp/DI.