1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

"Best" iDevice Recording Interface?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Feb 2, 2012.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd like to get one of the numerous varieties of iPad/Pod/Phone and Mac recording interfaces to use with Garageband. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Apogee Jam as the reviews seem less mixed than the iRig. I'm not really limiting my budget, since I want something that will really be the cream of the crop.

So far I've read reviews of:
    iRig
    iRiffport
    Apogee Jam
    Peavey Amplink
    Line 6 Mobile In
    Tascam iXZ
    Alesis IO Dock

Reviews seem to all be in favor of dock-connecting devices as compared to the headphone-connecting varieties. Again, I'm looking mainly at the Apogee Jam, which I can use with iPad, iPhone and Macbook. Really, it probably won't get that much use, but will make for easy spontaneous recording of ideas.

Any thoughts?

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

Suscribed and curious too

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

4. Epidrake

Epidrake

I have the iRiff port because it goes in through the digital input, not the headphone in. There is no lag in recording and no feedback, like you can get from the audio/ headphone input. It's good for bass and guitar, not for mics, per se, although I'm sure you could rig it up to work. It works great with GarageBand. My .02.
    Good luck

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I've heard good stuff about the iRiffport but it's hard to justify spending $100 on a couple of wires.

7. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
    Looks like the Tascam IU2 is the one for me. Seems to pack a lot of features, street price looks to be around $150, plenty of one and outs, and the fact that I can use it with any of my devices is a big positive.

8. PastorRob

PastorRob

Subscribed and interested in what is posted. I am looking hard at Alesis' I/O Dock. But, I am looking to use only my iPad. Looking forward to future first-hand experience posts.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Looks like they will ship middle of Feb!

And it has Midi
    Looks like I'm going to get one soon myself.

10. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
    The iu2 crams in a lot of features, some of which I may not need now, but might in the future.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

12. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
    The iConnectMuse looks nice as well, but no charging capability.

It's not that I see myself recording for 10 hours, but what if I want to record and have only 10% battery? Doesn't make for spontaneous recording possibilities.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Yes it does, right on the above page link
    "and even charge the iOS device at the same time."

It appears you hook a power supply in through the LAN connector.

14. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
    Ahh, missed that part. Still, seems a bit more expensive than the IU2, and I really like what the IU2 has to offer.

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

I agree, but different feature set.
    I actually use MIDI so the IU2 is so far the best I've seen, audio and MIDI.

16. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

+1 here too.

I think I'll grab one of these when then'll be available.

17. Tupac

Tupac

Why would anyone buy this? The sound card on my $600 laptop makes awful recordings, I can't imagine what my iPod would do...

18. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

I tend to look at them as not just being an interface, but also a preamp. If you get a bad one, your recording will sound bad. Apogee makes great stuff, I have not tried the Jam, but the One and Duet are great. When using Apogee products, the sound of my bass, is the sound that I hear on the recording. Some products seem to compress the sound a lot or make it sound robot-ish. Not sure if robot-ish is the word for it, but if you have spent any time on YouTube you know what I mean.

19. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
    Most laptops have terrible built in sound. And the price really has nothing to do with it. On a contract, I paid $200 for my iPhones, but out of contract they'd cost more than your laptop.

I'm not that experienced with scratch recordings in Garageband but what I have done sounds quite good. I think the modeling and built in preamps, EQ and effects in GB really help make a good recording.

20. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
    Half the problem with sound on Youtube is that YT itself compresses the living hell out of everything uploaded, unless you can keep it in HD.

Apogee gear has great reviews, but for not much more, there's so much more functionality with the Tascam unit.

21. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

If anyone gets the Tascam iU2 please review it here.