1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Inexpensive Amps for Live Shows?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tokin20deuce, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce

Can anybody recommend any good bass amps for a hard rock/metal act that are reasonably inexpensive? Less than $600 would be what I'm looking for for now.

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Find a used preamp (pedal or rack mount) that has enough output level and get a used PA power amp (I would look at QSC or Crest). Very powerful and much better protection circuits than most "bass heads" at lower cost, to boot.

3. dalkowski

dalkowski

Are you looking for just the head or the whole rig?

4. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

Although it will stay pretty clean when cranked, I like the Hartke LH1000 if your buying new. Cant beat $499

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Shop used. It will make your dollar go a lot farther.

7. alecduncan

alecduncan

Yeah, $600 can easily get you a professional, used rig. I picked up a GK 1001RB-II and 410RBH for $700 about two years ago locally before I even joined talkbass. I've seen classifieds here where you can pick up a nice GK, Hartke, Trace Elliot, SWR etc. head and a Neo cabinet for $600 total (plus you're supporting this awesome community).

I recommend:

GK 700RB-II or 1001RB-II or 800RB with a GK Neo (212/410) cabinet
    Hartke HA3500 or LH500 with a HyDrive 410
    anything and everything Trace Elliot

If you're only looking for a head I'd try and hold out for a used Peavey VB-2 or Traynor tube head... :)

8. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

+1

We can't really give you informed suggestions without knowing if you're looking for a combo, head, cabinet or head and cabinet.

9. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Just get a Rackmount sans amp and call it a day. Between the onboard pre on my bass and the sans amps eq I can get any tone I want. Because I run the xlr to FOH the power amp and cab are basically a stage monitor and you can save a ton of money by getting a $500 cab instead of paying over a grand for one.

10. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Similar to some of the above posters, for rock/metal, I would start by finding a used power amp with plenty of wattage and then use whatever cash you have left over to get a preamp (pedal or rack) and the best used speaker cab you can afford. I would recommend a 4x10 cab for bang-for-your-buck in terms of volume, but if you can't manage that you could get a smaller cab and add a second the next time you have some cash.

11. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce

I'm looking for a full rig. How much wattage do you recommend? Figure we'll be playing small clubs and bars, and the guitarist will most likely be using a 150w solid state head

12. alecduncan

alecduncan

In older amps like the Trace Elliot I think 350watts is good for just about anything, but if I were to buy a more modern amp I would want 500watts.

I think for hard rock/metal that a GK 700RB or 1001RB rig would be perfect. Just avoid the Backline/Gold series and shop used!

13. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce