1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Best Inexpensive Amps for Live Shows?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tokin20deuce, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce

Oct 17, 2007
    Can anybody recommend any good bass amps for a hard rock/metal act that are reasonably inexpensive? Less than $600 would be what I'm looking for for now.

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Find a used preamp (pedal or rack mount) that has enough output level and get a used PA power amp (I would look at QSC or Crest). Very powerful and much better protection circuits than most "bass heads" at lower cost, to boot.

3. Sponsored by:

4. Are you looking for just the head or the whole rig?

5. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2008
    NYC
    Although it will stay pretty clean when cranked, I like the Hartke LH1000 if your buying new. Cant beat $499

6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Shop used. It will make your dollar go a lot farther.

7. alecduncan

alecduncan Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Maryland
    Yeah, $600 can easily get you a professional, used rig. I picked up a GK 1001RB-II and 410RBH for $700 about two years ago locally before I even joined talkbass. I've seen classifieds here where you can pick up a nice GK, Hartke, Trace Elliot, SWR etc. head and a Neo cabinet for $600 total (plus you're supporting this awesome community).

I recommend:

GK 700RB-II or 1001RB-II or 800RB with a GK Neo (212/410) cabinet
    Hartke HA3500 or LH500 with a HyDrive 410
    anything and everything Trace Elliot

If you're only looking for a head I'd try and hold out for a used Peavey VB-2 or Traynor tube head... :)

8. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    +1

We can't really give you informed suggestions without knowing if you're looking for a combo, head, cabinet or head and cabinet.

9. Just get a Rackmount sans amp and call it a day. Between the onboard pre on my bass and the sans amps eq I can get any tone I want. Because I run the xlr to FOH the power amp and cab are basically a stage monitor and you can save a ton of money by getting a $500 cab instead of paying over a grand for one.

10. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Similar to some of the above posters, for rock/metal, I would start by finding a used power amp with plenty of wattage and then use whatever cash you have left over to get a preamp (pedal or rack) and the best used speaker cab you can afford. I would recommend a 4x10 cab for bang-for-your-buck in terms of volume, but if you can't manage that you could get a smaller cab and add a second the next time you have some cash.

11. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce

Oct 17, 2007
    I'm looking for a full rig. How much wattage do you recommend? Figure we'll be playing small clubs and bars, and the guitarist will most likely be using a 150w solid state head

12. alecduncan

alecduncan Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Maryland
    In older amps like the Trace Elliot I think 350watts is good for just about anything, but if I were to buy a more modern amp I would want 500watts.

I think for hard rock/metal that a GK 700RB or 1001RB rig would be perfect. Just avoid the Backline/Gold series and shop used!

13. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce

Oct 17, 2007