Best instrument cable for bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by killersdude, Feb 14, 2010.

1. killersdude

killersdude

Hey everyone,

Last night at a gig, my friend and longtime companion of 4 years, 21-Foot Monster Bass Cable, received a thrashing that has left him scarred and near death. I'm not one to grieve for to long, so any suggestions as to his replacement? I'm thinking about going with another monster, simply due to how long it survived the first time, but I know that there are a ton of other quality brands available so I'd love some input, thanks!
  2. gre107

gre107 Supporting Member

Go with another monster!
  3. mgauge

mgauge

4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

Check if you can return and replace the Monster for free. They're snake oil (a cable that's less than 1/4 the price can sound just as good) but they have a great return policy.

As far as a replacement.. anything with decent construction quality and a low capacitance per foot. It needn't be as pricey as Monster or any other "boutique" brands.

Some people seem to dig the stuff available at Bayou Audio.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. killersdude

killersdude

Unfortunately it was killed by a careless listener who somehow stepped on it, drug it across the floor, and managed to strip it right down to bare wire. Unfortunately I think monsters warranty only covers defects from standard use. I'll check out that website though, thanks!
  7. killersdude

killersdude

Does anyone have experience with the Canare instrument cables?
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Canare and Mogami both get very high marks on this board
    I can't tell the difference between them and find it easier to buy pre made Mogami Silver Series from MF
  9. David1234

David1234

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I'm very happy with a Fender Platinum Pro cable. Give that a try too if, you get a chance to audition some cables.
  10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I personally don't find there to be any tonal difference between high end cables and the standard Horizon or Hosa cables. The only real difference to me is reliability. Personally I like the Planet Waves cables, very durable and not too pricey.
  11. scootron

scootron

I think Butch at Bayou Audio makes a great cable. I have two of his (red and blue), and I love them both.

I have to say, though, that any time I am playing somewhere I think might be tough on a cable, I take a Monster, just because of the warranty.
  12. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

Had a really bad experience with Butch recently. Order from him at your own risk! Some people on this board said he's gotten kinda "flakey." lately. I'll confirm that. Totally non-responsive to emails about order status. Eventually had to file a dispute with PayPal to get it resolved. Anyway, have had great experience with this guy..http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2321196 who makes patch as well as instrument cables at great prices.
  13. killersdude

killersdude

I'm going to give the canare a shot, turns out that my brother actually puts them together for local studios all the time, so this works out perfectly. In the meantime, I've also contacted monster to verify that my cable is not covered.

Thank you everyone!
  14. mac94

mac94 Supporting Member

+1
  15. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan

I dislike Monster cables for their high capacitance (particularly the one marketed for bass guitar) and have no love for the company, but if you're going to buy a cable at a storefront, Monster probably has the best warranty. I had two Monster cables fail on me and each time they were replaced at Monster dealers I hadn't bought from with no questions asked.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

i dislike monster cables and have given away those I had. Not missing them either.
    But, for some they may just be right.:)
  17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

my vote goes to Fender Koil kords.
  18. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Let me have a Diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, ... Supporting Member

+1 to that! I only have CoreX2 now, even for patch cables. They are pretty stiff though. They even feel like beefy bass cables. I couldn't see someone stomping on a CoreX2 causing any harm to it.
    Good luck in your search.

19. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

I have used Bayou cables and from guitar-cable.com. great stuff
  20. darkstorm

darkstorm

I very much dislike monster instrument cables due to their oversize plugs. Some have found they widen the contacts to the point after awhile that regular size 1/4 plugs will no longer work with them.

I use Livewire elite. Mogami is another excellent choice imo.
  21. OriginalKeyster

OriginalKeyster

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool ProCo cable guy.