Best iOS App to Practice Along with iTunes on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hotrodjohn, Mar 7, 2014.

1. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Just got an iRig cheap at GC - $20 new. I need an app that will allow me to easily play and practice along with music on my iPhone. I tried Garageband, and it doesn't allow me to go to the music player easily and rewind, etc. while playing - it cuts off my bass and I have to tap the Garageband app icon again to hear my bass - this is annoying. I basically want to just hear my bass while I am fiddling with the music player - nothing fancy, hopefully decent sounding. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

3. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

cool - checking it out now. Which bass amp model would you recommend purchasing?

4. neuman

neuman Supporting Member

Buy one of the bass packs; tons of variety. You could also download the free version and when sales crop up add more "toys."

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ashbory

ashbory

Check out Anytune Pro. It has everything you need for learning and playing along with songs. I am using it with jam up

7. archtop2

archtop2

My app I've used with my guitar and now my bass is ampkit, Peavey branded.
    It´s free but GAS comes very quickly as amps and effects are so cheap!.
    I frequently use the embedded recorder to keep ideas that come and go so fast.
    Bass gear stays limited although.

8. ou812

ou812

+1 for Anytune

9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I just used the Amplitube app that is "made" to go with the iRig. It's not the best thing around, but it allows you to import songs from itunes and play along with them.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Another vote for Jamup. The Jam funtion allow control over speed, pitch and volume of the track, which is great for jamming along GnR and the like who were always tune to Eb.

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Definitely grab a bass pack. I use the SVT model the most but its fun going through some of the other models too.

I have my SVT model set up so it's sounds fairly close to my live rig.

12. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

I love JamUp too. The bass pack is necessary. My current "rig" is a GK 700RB with an EQ, bass big muff (saturated with the EQ), noise suppressor, and reverb. Gets a great fuzzy tone! The clean tones are awesome too. You can also expand and purchase the 8 band multitrack recorder. It's not a DAW, it just looks like a console, but it works well.

PLUS- the same manufacturer just released BIAS, which works with JamUp. I have yet to download it, but you can tweak the amps, cabs, mics, mic placement, etc and then import into JamUp. The amp tweakability is ridiculous- you can change pre/power tubes, trannies, etc. It's $7.99.

13. Kevorargh

Kevorargh

I just got Jam Up with both the bass expansion packs. The bass amps are awesome - I like the Acoustic 360 and the Fender patch with a tremolo is great for creating some great Chris Squire tones. The jam feature is superb and a lot of fun, like pitch shifting Black Sabbath to regular tuning but keeping the speed the same - it's a lot of fun listening to the pitch shifted vocals. The only issue I have with the Jam feature is that it won't import older songs downloaded directly from iTunes - JamUp does not support songs with DRM. So I'm finding a workaround for that.

14. BassClefJean

BassClefJean

Jamup. I haven't tried Anytune.oh wait, yes I have. Anytune lets you slow things down and loop a bit better than Jamup.

But Jamup seem to do pretty much everything for free.