1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best jazz bass pickups for grunge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGod2013, Jun 23, 2012.

1. BassGod2013

BassGod2013

im looking at getting some new jazz bass pickups in my squier classic vibe jazz bass that would give the good nirvana-esk sound in my bass. what would you suggest?
  2. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Different pickups may change your sound, but it might take more than that to get a 'grungier' sound. What kind of amp and strings do you use?
    Before investing in new pickups, I'd recommend checking out a sansamp bass driver pedal. Those things are really good at adding a nice grit and grind to your sound. There's plenty of demos on YouTube.
  3. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

Sansamp programmable bassdriver D.I.

+1

Anyway, sticking to the OP (and melting fine with Squier Classic Vibe Jazz)
    Seymour Duncan "Hot Stacks"

Trust me

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

6. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

Here is a link to a Novoselic dedication page which lists
    the equipment he used. http://www.novoselic.com/equipment.php

I dunno if you are gonna get what you are looking for out
    of a Jazz. I also thought of Hot Stacks but Duff's tone (although
    awesome ) is not "grunge".
  7. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

The Duff tone is awesome and would work well for a grungy sound. It's a mean dirty tone.:)

That's why I recommended the Model J! It's a Precision pickup in disguise:)

Listen for a bit - lots of tone in those:

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

What would I suggest? :confused:

I would suggest posting your question in the correct forum. Such as...Oh, I don't know...just a wild guess here...maybe something like "Pickups & Electronics"? Or would that make too much sense? :eyebrow:

MM
  9. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast Supporting Member

Take a chill pill..........

I would suggest perhaps Nordstrand 70's wind single coils. They are quite an aggressive pickup with lots of detail and charachter. Very resonsive. I have them in my Nordy 5 string and through an SVT sound killer. Great with a pick for an aggressive attack and grind. Perfect for that style of music but also versatile for many other styles as well....