1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

best jazz bass pickups for the price

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chandler347, Dec 9, 2013.

?

or just buy a whole new jazz bass

Poll closed Feb 7, 2014.
  1. buy new

40 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. replace pickups

43 vote(s)
    28.7%
  3. replace all electronics

77 vote(s)
    51.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chandler347

chandler347

my squire pickups are going bad so i need some new ones, what are the best ones for the price? i play all kinds of music from hardcore to blues so they have to be diverse. i have some duncan on there now but i got it at least 3rd hand .
    Thankyou!
  2. line6man

line6man

Replacing pots will not change the tone unless you want to experiment with different values. If that's the case, you're talking slightly more or less treble.

Just get new pickups, unless the instrument itself doesn't sound good.
  3. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

What is happening with the ones you have now? Are you still getting sound? In my experience with inexpensive instruments, it's the jack that goes bad first, followed by the volume/tone pots. Pickups usually hang in there a long time.

With inexpensive instruments, I often gut the electronics entirely, then rebuild from the ground up with high-quality components. That way I know what's under the hood, so to speak.

As to good bang for your buck on jazz pickups, Duncan SJB-1's are an excellent choice. They can handle just about any bass task you throw at them, and they're relatively inexpensive.
  4. chandler347

chandler347

the e string sounds like it has a electric problem then the others sound fine 60% of the time. i thought it was my amp but i tried it on others and it still did the same thing. its hard to explain the sound just that it doesn't sound full.

would two different pickups work? one for neck and one for bridge?
  5. line6man

line6man

For the record, it is very rare for pickups to fail. The worst thing that happens is slight demagnetization over a period of decades, and some people argue that to be an improvement. The fact that you are getting sound, and that there are no microphonics, means that the pickups are probably fine.
  6. chandler347

chandler347

well something is wrong with it. i checked all the wires around the pots and they are fine. it just has a fuzzy bad sound on most notes. i tried all pickup settings and it just has varying degrees of the sound. i personally think it's something with the pickups. idk if it matters but the magnets look scratched and rusty
  7. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Are you still happy with the tone you get from the pups? If so I would try and keep them and replace all the pots and caps. If you dont like that idea, go for a whole new setup, pups and electronics and all. Me, I would just replace everything, pups included. Thats just me though. Do you want passive or active? I would go with some SDjb2 or 3 for what youre describing you want to do, diversity. Especially with a jazz bass, youll be good with those. Again, these are MY opinions.
  8. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

If it were me I would install new pickups AND pots, jack, and wiring, Squier electronics are pretty low end, but what do you expect for the price. IMHO the best and most versatile inexpensive Jazz bass pickups are the Dimarzio Model J, Fat, punchy, and in your face. :bassist:
  9. chandler347

chandler347

how much does it cost to replace everything else besides pups?
  10. gregmon79

That is a very broad question. It could be around $100 or it could go as high as $500, it all depends on the pups you end up going with. If you stick with SD's or Dimarzios, SD's will run you about $80 to $100, Dimarzio around $125 to $150. It all depends.
  11. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

cheap. pots go $5-$10 a piece depending on quality. Do you know how to solder?
  12. gregmon79

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your question. You could probably get away with around $20 to $30 to replace the electronics with high quality components.
  13. chandler347

chandler347

what do you guys think of DiMarzio DP149 Ultra Jazz Bass Pickup Set?
  14. chandler347

chandler347

yeah i can solder.
  15. robertebooker

robertebooker

16. Andy D

Andy D

I have a set of DiMarzio Ultra Js in my Geddy Lee and they sound stupendous. A great value for the tremendous tone.
  17. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I really like the pups Fender used in the American Standard Jazz's from '08-'11... as a bonus, they're not all that expensive, either...

- georgestrings
  18. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Anything from Dimarzio wins the "Best bang for the buck" in my eyes. And the UJs are killer, my favorites.
    And do the electronics, too.
  19. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

+1, and it gives you expereince in doing your own repairs. Always a good thing.
  20. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

It's hard to say without checking it out firsthand, but a "fuzzy" sound is probably due to a cold solder joint somewhere in your circuit, or a bad pot. By the time you chase down the problem, you're better off just starting over with new pots, tone cap, and jack. Don't skip replacing the jack. It may look fine, but cheap jacks break, and once they do, you're dead in the water.

As to pickups, I wouldn't recommend anything too hot. It's easier to heat your signal up than it is to cool it down. You can always add more gain with amp settings, effects, etc., but it's harder to remove gain if you've got hot pickups. Since you indicated you need it to be versatile, a vintage-wind jazz pickup will do you a lot more good than a hot one. My $0.02, of course.