1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ronald Weasley, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Ronald Weasley

Ronald Weasley

Hey, I've been looking to get myself a new jazz bass, definitely rosewood fingerboard, and something with a more traidional/vintage kind of sound and feel. I've been checking out the fender 70's jazz bass reissue, or maybe a road worn. I know everyone's opinion is different and every bass is unique, but if there is a model that isn't very good or something it would be good to know! My max price is 900, but would prefer a cheaper bass, with the potential to upgrade down the road.
    Thanks for the help :)

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    It's all about price range.
    The more money you can spend, the more options.
    For what your looking for check out the "Roadworn" series Fender Jazz.
    It kicks major ass for the money.

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Play as many jazz-style basses as you can. Try out the Squier CV line and go from there. You'd be surprised how little it costs these days to get a quality instrument. All my .02 of course...;)

Good Luck!

4. aus_bass

aus_bass

Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oboylebass

oboylebass

A used Lakland Skyline 44-60 (aka Joe Osborn model) is the best in my humble opinion, in that price range.

7. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Great minds think alike...or is it fools seldom differ....;)

8. Russell L

Russell L

I hear the Fender Classic Series is pretty good. I'm looking, too, but may go with another American Standard, just because of some of the better things it has. Although, I do prefer vintage frets and a 7-1/4" fingerboard radius, so I dunno yet.

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

I think I would go for a Roadworn as well. Those are seriously cool basses, and at the top of my 'must have' list at the moment.

10. Oracle

Oracle Banned

In that price range I think that Fender RW or Lakland 44-60 are great options

11. Ronald Weasley

Ronald Weasley

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll just wait it out for something used to pop up and go for that if I like it. Just to save some cash

12. shoot-r

shoot-r

For sure check out the R.W. Jazz basses.

In the 40+ years I've been playing, my R.W. has become my favorite bass.
    Sounds GREAT, plays GREAT!

13. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Always a subjective topic......but, suffice it to say - one could hardly be hurt by a purchase of a Roadworn, Highway One, or Joe Osborn ;)

14. 4001

I like the '62 reissue Jazz Basses from the mid 1980's, or the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, or if you need to spend less than that go with a Squire CV Jazz Bass.

15. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

OP, there are a few MIJ '70s jazz basses (52 total, half in 3TSB and half in black) that were made at Chushin as a Fender special run in spring 2011. I have one and love it, despite my primary Precision allegiance. A couple of these have popped up on the TB classifieds in the $650-700 range. if you see one, grab one! JMHO of course. Also, used Am Std jazzes are frequently available at $800-900.

That Roadworn sure gets a lotta love here!! As does the Lakland Skyline JO4. Will have to try those too.

SL

16. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Media:
    I like the Mia Fwnder Deluxe Jazz 5 with an upgraded preamp.

17. Ronald Weasley

Ronald Weasley

Well a road worn jazz bass with Fralin pickups came up locally! I'm going to go and try it out tomorrow, and my hopes are pretty high . He's asking 750

18. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

I have a rw with fralins and love it. Good luck

19. iuserneim

iuserneim

while some would say, nothing sounds more like a jazz bass than the jazz bass itself, i'd say a lakland would be a nice one, or a marleaux.

the marleaux JB (discontinued model, now it's the votan), doesn't feature the typical jazz bass woods, but definitely features the jazz bass sound. check out the soundclip in my signature, then you know what i'm talking about

20. bh2

bh2

Oohh... post some piccys if you get it...

I would have suggested a CV 60s Jazz, RW or a 62 RI, can't go wrong with any of these IMO.

21. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Wow, that's a really nice combo right there :)