Best Jazz Bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michelin97Bass, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Michelin97Bass

Michelin97Bass

Hey there folks
    I was wondering in your honest opinions, who is the best bass player in jazz music? When I say best, it can be technically, or groovy, or whatever - who do you like in jazz ?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are a number of skill sets that any jazz musician has to be able to deal with at a very high level, the players whose work affects us most deeply are those who can speak that language in such a way that they touch on moments of both personal and universal beauty, but do so in a way that show the beauty of the language itself. It's not about "best", it's who is saying something to you, in that moment, that helps coalesce meaning from chaos.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Exactly. It's the difference between someone yelling, "Blah blah blah blah!" and someone saying something eloquent, at just the right moment (or framing someone else's statement so that it becomes intelligible).

My personal favorites? Just off the top of my head: Oscar Pettiford, Ray Brown, Richard Davis, Israel Crosby, Ron Carter, Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen, Dave Holland, Charlie Haden.
    Those are all double bassists. I suppose Steve Swallow is my favorite electric bassist who plays jazz.

4. frisbieinstein

frisbieinstein

Paul Chambers for melody.

Ron Carter, Charlie Haden for tone.

Stanley Clarke for lines. Dave Holland for Conference of the Birds.

Jaco you know already.

Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen has just about perfect intonation.

There are a ton of good players nobody has ever heard of too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jaco but lately Evan Marlien.

7. M0ses

M0ses

My top two are Mingus and Miroslav Vituous. Mingus for pure, raw emotionally charged music, and Miroslav for always playing something unexpected.

8. dbass87

dbass87

I'm mainly thinking in terms of upright jazz bassists:

Dave Holland: great upright tone, note choice and something about his rhythmic feel that I love as well

Ron Carter: creativity in walking lines

Christian McBride: great groove and monster at soloing

Chris Minh Doky: awesome tone and intonation, very melodic in soloing

Chris Wood: Not as technical as some but creates a great groove and plays with a lot of style

Paul Chambers: not too flashy, but solid walking lines and interesting solos

Eddie Gomez: love his work with Bill Evans, very different approach to bass, lots of fast ascending lines, interesting rhythmic ideas, seems to think outside the box

Stanley Clarke: not the greatest tone on upright but still plays with his own style; really like his electric playing with Return to Forever

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Speaking of intonation, George Mraz is ridiculously accurate.

10. JimK

JimK

...and his pianoless 5-tet...Holland & Billy Kilson/Nate Smith propel that group.

"Not as technical"? I used to think that, too. Maybe on EB...on URB, he has mucho technique...a virtuoso, IMO.

...always liked Gomez, too (especially his Steps Ahead-era..."Pools", anyone?) Gomez' tone, though, is not really my cup o' tea. You definitely know it's him, though.

Couple mote for the list-
    Ben Allison
    Arild Andersen
    ...both with new albums out.

11. wrench45us

wrench45us

currently Christian McBride

12. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

Alain Caron, Gary Willis, Richard Bona are 3 of my favorites

13. EZ9R

EZ9R

Jeff Berlin. Best Jazz Bass Guitarist.

14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Scott lefaro. Paul chambers. Eddie Gomez. Mingus. Ron Carter. Ray brown. Thats the oldschool.
    Jaco, mcBride, bromberg, marcus miller, thats the newer school.