1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Line (A/B) Switch?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Forgive me -- I did searches -- and I've been out of the pedal loop for a long time. Dang, there seems to be a million cool gadgets out there on the market!!!

I need a super quiet and non tone robbing A/B line switcher to toggle between 2 electric basses :bassist: :bassist: -- one active & one passive <or> an upright bass & one electric.

So far the ones that look decent for under $100 are the:

Radial Bigshot I/O
    Boss LS-2

Obviously there are more expensive options like the Radial Bass Bone products -- maybe even the Radial PZ-Pre for my upright.

Anyone have experience with any of these? I just want a simple A/B switch without too many bells & whistles.

2. rbolanos

rbolanos

Hi,
    I currently have the Boss LS-2 and I find it to be very transparent. what I like the most , is that, I can use both signals to one output, without pressing the pedal (mix mode). and I can still control the output for each bass. or you can simply use it as A/B swith, with less tone robbing..lol
    the Radial I/O did find to loose tone.
    good luck

3. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Well, I like the idea of the Boss LS-2 as well -- just wasn't sure it was what I needed exactly.

On the Boss there is a proper input impedance for both passive & piezo pups and I saw it has the two level controls. I also understand it can power other Boss pedals -- which is cool, since I use their Bass EQ.

So, what setting do you use to just get the straight A/B action on the Boss? It seems to have a bunch of loop options -- not sure I'll even use.

...unless i get a chorus pedal too...! :ninja:

4. niftydog

niftydog

Define "straight A/B action" and I'll give you your answer. :smug:

It's operation is very clearly explained by some pictures in the users manual which can be downloaded from several places.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

I mean 2 guitars --> 1 output!

I have downloaded the manual but it doesn't specifically illustrate running two instruments to one amp. Lots of FX loop options though!

7. niftydog

niftydog

Ok, but there's still a lot of wiggle room within that definition! Do you want a bypass/mute mode? Do you want a mix mode? Or do you just want it to go straight from one input to the other?

Ignore the fx boxes in the loops and just look at the operating modes. You run your basses into the return jacks, leave the send jacks empty, and select the mode you want.

8. ted burik

ted burik Supporting Member

Hi Jason:

I use the Radial I/O to switch between an acoustic bass and electric bass with very little tone loss (Acoustic Image Focus 2R and Epifani UL210). The good news about the Radial is that it operates without any power source, including battery, is very sturdy, and has a tuner out if you need it.

9. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Nifty -- Yeah that's it...I guess I was cornfuzed by the "return" jacks.

Ted -- that's good news on the Radial I/O. Do you use the DIM or Bright features?

10. Troutdog

Troutdog

I got the Radial I/O about a month ago and it works great. Very simple. I don't use the Dim feature because I pretty much only play passive basses these days. Makes guitar changes much much quicker and less noisy.

11. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Is there any "pop" noise with the Radial I/O?

I also found a Whirlwind selector (the $100 one, not the $50 model) that claims to have "Optical switching" for noiseless operation.

Anybody use one of these?

Thanks!

12. stflbn

stflbn

13. Thor

Thor Thanks Andy Pyle for showing me the way. Supporting Member

My solution was a bit different.

I use a Sabine RT -7100x tuner, it has 2 instrument inputs (A/B) and 2 amp outputs with an 'intelliswitch feature'. If there is no second amp, it switches between A/B input. There is a Mute switch on the face of the unit.

It comes with a 2 button footswitch: Mute and A/B.

Step on mute, then A/B. Swap basses. Step on Mute.
    Done. 5 seconds if you are good. 10 if you flub the swap.

Now I see that they have been discontinued. I got mine used
    here on the board for 70-80 bucks.

14. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I also use and reccomend the Boss AB-2

Noiseless

Straight a/b

Indicator lights that are handy

15. roflol

roflol

how can you have tone loss with a a/b switch? its basically three jacks and a switch :( unless you were to add a buffer to help with long pedal chains ;/

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I don't know what's so bad about the Morley, yet I've heard complaints about it. I have one and I like it quite well. Don't know where the problem lies.

17. EADG mx

EADG mx

I've heard nothing but good things about the LS-3, and it does what you need and so so much more. Thinking of getting one myself.

18. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    tired som e different ones before i bought a morley,it was cheaper and i have had no problems with it. i had read some really bad and really good reviews,that much variance in opinion makes me think its more the gear used with than the pedal.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I used one for this application, and for whatever reason, one of the sides, ( I don't remember which, but it doesn't matter), had a much lower output level. Works like a champ the other way around, one bass between two amps, but like I said, for some reason it no worky good. For a straight up AB/Y looper/switcher, the Little Lehle is greatness, but no extra functions like blenders or 2nd loops.

20. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Picked up a cheap Dod a/b switch from a fellow TB'er. Couldn't be simpler, 2 inputs, one output, one stop switch, small, and built like a tank. Works for me in the same scenario the OP needs. I think I spent $20 maybe. Totally passive, no tone suck, etc. I do have a K&K preamp on my upright to match volume with the electric.

I'm at work so can't check but I'm pretty sure it is this one...

[​IMG]

21. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Does this DOD pedal "pop" at all when you switch it?

I think i've got it down to either the Radial I/O for the simplicity or the Boss LS-2 for the 1meg inputs, volume controls, and the fact it can power other Boss pedals.

Also been checking out that new Radial PZ pre...but that's like $300.

Gonna do this sometime in the next few weeks me thinks...