1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best "little" amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmckenn2, Mar 16, 2014.

1. tmckenn2

tmckenn2 Supporting Member

Looking for votes on best small, under $250 bass amp for knocking around with (just at home or real small practices, not a gig machine). Maybe Ampeg BA110 combo? Need a good warm tone.

2. Back to Bassics

Back to Bassics

I would thoroughly recommend a Warwick BC80 (a quick Google seems to suggest they're about $299 in the US). If that's really out of budget range, try the BC40 ($230?).

I used to really dislike their amps and basses, but about a year ago I needed a combo around 100w, and the choice where I am is pretty limited. The Warwick was such a good deal here (7,000 baht/$220) I had to try it.

It sounds fantastic, and is loud enough to keep up with quiet drummers and small gigs. I'm sure the BC40 would be worth a listen.

I really don't know what the world's coming to, though. I think I'm going out tomorrow to buy a gold MIK Warwick Star Bass. Or maybe white.

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

For what you describe I think the BA110 is a good choice.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

That ampeg 110 is great. I have the 108 which is fine for my little apartment.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tmckenn2

tmckenn2 Supporting Member

Anybody use the 110 line out for larger gigs through the house PA? How's that work/sound? After years of lugging amps, 32lbs just sound so appealing.

7. Back to Bassics

Back to Bassics

I should have added I tried the Ampeg and I found it a bit bland, a bit meh ... to me at least the Warwick sounded much more lively. Depends what sound you're after. Maybe the Warwick won't be warm enough for you. I'd still give it a go, though. With flats on a 4001 I think it delivers a pretty soulful/funky vibe.