Best "little" amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tmckenn2, Mar 16, 2014.

1. tmckenn2

tmckenn2 Supporting Member

Looking for votes on best small, under $250 bass amp for knocking around with (just at home or real small practices, not a gig machine). Maybe Ampeg BA110 combo? Need a good warm tone.
  2. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

God smiles on bottom feeders. Go used and get the best value for your dollar.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 AND- there is no "best", just lots of different flavors.
  4. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Yes, yes, y'all!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you can pony up just a little more, I'd say go BA112. But I have a BA110 and it's a very nice little amp.
  7. obimark

obimark

My vote would be for the smallest size TC BG combo- you wouldn't find a much better value for your money.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Go to a Guitar Center or simular music store and audition every combo in your price range and take your pick. New Rumble 40 is going to be a killer at $180.
  9. DogBone

DogBone

The Ampeg BA series is highly recommended, and with the new V2 models about to hit the streets it seems the retailers may be willing to deal on the V1 (original) models.

The BA108 is probably the best practice amp deal going, the 110 is just a bit more goodness, but I'll say the BA112 is so good it's almost in a class by itself. Plus it's actaully "big" enough to support a small jam/gig. I just used it at a <50 person blues jam this weekend, and it was PERFECT!

Contacting Forums@musiciansfriend.com and telling them you're a talkbass member would be a good place to get a brand new BA112 for real close to your stated budget. ;)

I just got myself a new BA112, although I cannot share what I was quoted for a new one per Musicians Friend request, the deal they gave me on a restock was just too good to pass up. It was less than $200 and the only "flaw" was a 2 inch scratch in the metal on the back of the amp that was touched up with a paint marker. I can live with that.

Anyway, no affiliation, just sharing what works for me when I need to scratch a new gear itch. Musicians Friend has always been good to me.

Good luck. :)
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: I really like my little tiny GK MB110 bass combo amp.
  11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Consider the Warwick BC series combos.
  12. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member