1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BEST LOW COST ACOUSTIC BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unclebass, Feb 18, 2013.

1. unclebass

unclebass

Wanting recommendations on an acoustic bass guitar. Don't want to spend a lot of money, will likely not be played for performance very often, but want something that has a decent sound. I've been told by a few people that most cheap acoustics aren't worth owning. Looking for the experience of TB'ers to guide me....
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

What's your price range?
  3. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

if you can find the Michael Kelly Club Custom used for a couple hundred you'd be well served. Not as nice as say the Tacoma Thunderchief or others ranging in the north of US$1K club, but I gig with it and get compliments on the tone.
  4. unclebass

unclebass

unsure, but less than 300-400 if possible.
  5. 3234718

6. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

Just like with production solid body basses, USUALLY the higher the price the better the chance of getting a good one. Manufacturers will have good years and bad years, but usually the higher price basses give you the better chance of getting a good instrument.
    With that being said, you can still find one at a low cost that you'll be satisfied with. If possible you need to get out to the local shops in your area and check them out first hand. Never mind the name on the headstock. If you like the way one plays, it sounds good and it's in your price range.....buy it.
    Be aware that it will not have much volume on it's own. You might be able to play along with 1 acoustic guitar, but otherwise you'll need an amp.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

Play a bunch of them, pick the one you like. My acoustic bass was $200 and it sounds and feels much better in my hands than the more expensive models I played.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Are you referring to a double bass/contra bass or a hollow body bass guitar?
  9. verycoolname

verycoolname

Ubass or a used Kingman.
  10. 3234718

I have an Ibanez aeb5e that's a pretty good bass. 200 bucks and it sounds really good plugged in with tapewounds. I never play it cuz I have a ubass, but it's not the Ibanez's fault.
  11. chadds

chadds

Great point & to each his own. Most folks here hear and need the tone & feel of the expensive.
  12. FellowBass

FellowBass

I have a Washburn AB10 that I did about a hundred bucks of mods on (bridge, nut, etc.) and strung with nice black tape wounds and it sounds great. Had a buddy of mine borrow it for church this Sunday and I was in the congregation -- couldn't have imagined anything sounding much better in a full live mix.

EDIT: They're a bit pricey new -- I wouldn't pay that much for one. But I found a used one for $275 and it was well worth that.
  13. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

I've got a Dean Playmate AEB 5'er. Got it new several years ago. It holds tune, intonates, and is loud enough unplugged. They are $200 new.

Here it is plugged in and recorded with my laptop...
  14. unclebass

unclebass

standard acoustic bass guitar
  15. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

I have to second the Dean's...have played a few and surprised how well they sound for the money.
  16. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

Can't agree on the Dean. I ordered one about a year ago, and it was apparent that quality control was, uh, lacking. The bass was unplayable as delivered, and I cut myself on one of the frets. Dean's customer service guy clearly didn't give a rat's behind, and told me that the whole thing was my problem.

Never again.
  17. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Michael Kelly for sure.
  18. BrianMarc

BrianMarc

Ubass. Really.
  19. dcarwin

dcarwin

Can you hear a U-Bass around the campfire? (...with three guys on acoustic guitar?)

I went to GC and got the Dean. ($170-ish) Strung it with TI flats and I'm stoked.
  20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

+1000
    its a killer!