1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Match for SWR Goliath III -- Goliath II or Son of Bertha

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Apr 2, 2014.

What cab goes better with Goliath III - Son of Bertha or Goliath II

Poll closed Apr 7, 2014.
  1. Son of Bertha

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Goliath II

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

I've got a SWR Goliath III cab that I'm currently using and I'm looking to add another cab to go with it
    The local used choices are SWR Goliath II or Son of Bertha
    I've heard all sorts of reasons why not to combine 4x10 and 1x15 cabinet before but I'm not so sure I believe them as I've had success in the past.
    Which cabinet would go best with Goliath III? Just not sure if Goliath II would be good match or not (from the pix it looks like the Son of Bertha cab is in better shape cosmetically anyway).

[​IMG]

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you add a 15 to your 4x10 you'll find out for yourself why its IS such a bad match.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Neither is great but the 15 would be better than the rear ported 410. Best match would be to get a goliath III Jr 4 ohm and rewire it to 16 ohms (takes 10 mins DIY) assuming you have an 8 ohm goliath III.

Then you have a 16 ohm 210, 8 ohm 410, and 5.6 ohm 610 as options with any solid state head that handles a 4 ohm minimum load.

4. David Jayne

David Jayne

I ran that combo(G II+G III) for years and although you'd expect it to not work well, it does.
    I've also run the 410 +210 combo as you've described it. Both Goliath II models. That did work really well. Maybe better.

5. Register to disable this ad