Best Modern Rock Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by verycoolname, Nov 22, 2013.

1. verycoolname

verycoolname

My radio station of choice, DC101, began a "Best Modern Rock Bassist" poll back in late October, and now it's in the final stages.

The original bassists in the competition were:

Pete Wentz (Fall Out Boy)
    Mark Hoppus (blink-182)
    Chris Wolstenholme (Muse)
    Krist Novoselic (Nirvana)
    Duff McKagan (GNR)
    Ben Kenney (Incubus)
    Justin Chancellor (Tool)
    Tim Commerford (Rage Against The Machine)
    Ben Sheppard (Soundgarden)
    Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam)
    Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band)
    Mike Dirnt (Green Day)
    Flea (RHCP)
    Ted Dwane (Mumford and Sons)
    Les Claypool (Primus)
    Mike Inez (Alice In Chains)

14 bassists have been eliminated, and the final vote is between Krist and Flea...

...so, what do you think? Is this list a good representation of great rock bassists? I personally think Wentz, Hoppus, and Dirnt could've been removed, and Ted Dwane/Mumford & Sons is hardly "rock." Plus, the final two seem a bit "popularity" based. I like RHCP, and I love Nirvana, but as a bassist Flea is (IMO) overrated (but quite good), and Krist is (IMO) nothing special (though I do like him a lot, and he's fortunate to have been in a legendary band). I personally wanted Justin Chancellor or Les Claypool to win, but oh well.

So, essentially, what are your thoughts on this poll? Did all 16 bassists deserve to be a part of the competition? Are the final two bassists a good selection? Who would you add to the list? Does the DMV just have very bad taste in musicians? I'm just curious.
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I honestly don't consider any of them good bassists. The music is very simple, which is typical of a lot of today's music. Even cheesy pop songs of the 70s had more complex and more interesting bass lines. Out of all the bands you mentioned, the only one I can tolerate is Alice In Chains.
  3. basslifter

basslifter

Robert DeLeo from STP?
  4. DigitalMan81

DigitalMan81

Robert DeLeo is a far underrated bassist. Huge influence and one of the reasobs I picked up the bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rev J

Rev J

Krist Novaselic was just lucky to be in a band who's lead singer blew his brains out.

C/S,
    Rev J
  7. dimeified

dimeified

+1
  8. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

For my tastes, on that list Les Claypool would be number 1, followed by Ben Sheppard and then Flea. I would give Justin Chancellor and Mike Inez honorable mentions. Again, that is just for my tastes.

I like Robert DeLeo quite a bit also. I would add him to my honorable mention list.
  9. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

My personal favorite bassist. Ever. His lines are just so sick and deep in the pocket. Hes a beast; i love it.
  10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'd go with Ben Sheppard and Tim Commerford based on this list. Both of these guys are a great fit for their respective bands and come up with some interesting bass lines.

Another honorable mention for Robert DeLeo. I like his style.
  11. cnltb

cnltb

Best Modern Rock Bassist?

To me it's tony levin I recon...
  12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Well that's an ignorant, ego-driven opinion if I've ever heard one.

Some of the guys on that list definitely aren't 'great' by any stretch and are simply lucky to be in very popular bands, but to claim none of them are any good at all?

Nonsense.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

I am often surprised at the praise , Les Claypool receives as a bassist.
    To me his name should be mentioned in the dictionary when searching the word 'sloppy'.
  14. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Krist Novoselic beat out Chris Wolstenholme? Dang. I'd probably put Chris at number 1, with Claypool and Chancellor tied for second. But that's just me. Or maybe a three-way-tie...
  15. DannyBob

DannyBob

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

It's his opinion.

It may be 180 degrees from what you think but it doesn't require you to demean him personally. When you attack the person and not the idea you undermine your own argument and potentially start a flame war... Something TB could use less of, not more.
  17. zmBass

zmBass

why did no one put Joe Principe from RA
  18. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

Dang man, you must be one helluva bass player to have that opinion, because I think almost all those guys are great rock players. And a lot of their work does require skillz. There are lots of guys (and gals) out there in lots of genres that may have more chops, but in rock, these guys are the some of the best. If AIC is the only band you can tolerate of all the players in that list, I have to ask if you like rock at all? I mean you can't tolerate GnR? And Duff isn't any good? Justin Chancellor isn't good? Maybe you're just too good? It must be lonely at the top! :eyebrow:
  19. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

And yes, Robert DeLeo definitely should be on that list! He may not have the fastest fingers in the biz, but his lines are so melodic and well-thought out.
  20. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

I'm OK with flea in the finals but Krist has no business there at all. At all.

The absence of DeLeo in the original list completely invalidates this contest for me.
  21. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Pete Wentz. Done.