1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Mods Recommendations for Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Short Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bfilmsoz, Dec 21, 2012.

1. bfilmsoz

bfilmsoz

I purchased my Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Short Scale about a month ago and find it a great bass to play overall. I find it be very top heavy [lots of neck dive] was thinking of replacing the machine heads, found these budget ones on Fleabay :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26095753...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3452wt_960

Also the bridge pickup is kindoff anemic, have looked at a ton of pickups and am leaning toward the Seymour Duncan SJB-3.

I would greatly appreciate peoples recommendations, and am interesting in seeing any/other mods people have done to their Squier SS basses.
  2. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I havent modded mine yet. Its been a real trooper of a bass as is. The only gripe I have and havent gotten around to yet is the feeble J pup. I have the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in mind for when the time comes that I actually want to do it. I use the P pickup 99% of the time.
  3. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

I'm doing one mod, and having one done that is in the putting it all back together stage. Here are a couple of pix of the one being done. Stripped body, Lace Alumatones, strat jack, thru body bridge, Hipshot UltraLites, custom made pick cover, StellarTone ToneStylers, matching headstock. Reprinted burgundy mist. Custom made Squier Jaguar decal.

image-3893589556.jpg

image-1887087886.jpg

image-3992957975.jpg

The other one is less ambitious. Repainted Taos turquoise, matching headstock, custom decal, custom pick guard, replace pickup covers with white, StellarTone Dual Tone, VBT controls. Using stock pickups since the "P" is good and I only use the "J" to add a little high or mid.
  4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Hardware, pups, and add active eq preamp. As mods I'd do if if I got one to do mod project on. Lol.
  5. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

A couple more pix. The Taos turquoise body and headstock, and the pre paint mock up of the burgundy.

image-2536379572.jpg

image-3610094441.jpg

image-1087712119.jpg
  6. swamp2

swamp2

It's so easy to fall prey to the "must mod it" mentality. This is a very good bass as is. Yeah the J pickup is a little weak, but i don't like the sound of any bridge p/u solo'd and it's useful as is to crisp up the tone when blended with the neck. I cleaned up the fret ends, put some GHS flatwounds on it and set it up to my taste. That's it - and that's all I plan to ever do to it.
  7. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I wanna see that turquoise one when it's all together. That's gonna look pretty good.
  8. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Here here. The GHS flats is my only "mod". Really love the vintage tone that they create with the stock P pickup. Has a great true P bass tone. I didnt care for the GHS flats at firsrt. The E seemed to be DOA. But after they broke in they sound and feel great. I cant see myself changing them unless they really died or one broke. Thats gotta be at least 5 years away for that to happen. :D
  9. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

I put GHS Boomers on mine, thinking they would be alot like the stock strings. They are, bkut louder. I had to learn how to adjust the bridge for them. I did not like the neck dive, but the 4" Levy's Leather strap I got a deal on helps. I'd be scared that if I replaced the bridge pickup like lots of people in the mega-threads did that I wouldn't notice the difference.