Best multi effect units

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I currently use a Zoom G2.1u that I've had for years now, it's well used and I might want a new one in a couple of years. What can y'all recommend, for both versatility and clarity and quality of sound?

For reference, I'm a pretty traditional tone kind of guy, no huge fuzz necessary. I do like to muddle around with effects from time to time, however. Basically looking for something with a good compressor, some nice chorus/other color options, and a VERY light overdrive, for that Geddy Lee/Chris Squire tone. I do like the MC Crunch setting on the G 2.1u, although most of the time I run it blank. Still, I like having the option to shape my sound.

Fire away!
  2. Ezmar

Ezmar

I sort of ask because back when I got my Zoom, $100, I think it was, my friend had a Boss unit that was several hundred more, and although it did have some neat effects, it seemed less versatile and sounded VERY digitally processed. The Zoom was digital as well, but the sounds that came out were nice, warm, and organic. The pitch shifting effects could have been better, but for $100, it was pretty amazing in terms of tone quality.

So I'm very impressed with Zoom, and there seems to be a lite of love for them here, but I want to know what else is out there. Something that can work as an experimentation workstation, as well as a pedalboard I can use for live playing, with easy patch selection.

Anything? Apologies for the shameless bump.
  3. varunjh

varunjh

The Zoom B3, its cheap and the effects sound quite nice.
  4. Ezmar

Ezmar

The B3 doesn't have an expression pedal, though, does it? That's my primary usage of my pedal, Volume control.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I like the bass pod you can get one of the older ones cheap it has a built in compressor,drive and it has five distortion options along with it's great amp and cab sims.
  7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I really want a Line 6 M5 or M9.
  8. noisetherapy

noisetherapy

I prefer single effects, but I do run an ME-20B in my pedal board just to supplement effects and use the volume pedal on it extensively.

its pretty good for the price.
  9. varunjh

varunjh

10. Steveaux

Steveaux

There are 39 threads with "best multi" in the title.
  11. Ezmar

Ezmar

What about the B9.1ut? It's going to be spendier, but does anyone know about that? I do like the idea of having a lot of options available to me. The only issue is of course /the
    price, and the matter of whether or not it would be Stage worthy, or if it's not rugged enough for outside the home or studio. Anyone know? How would the versatility of the B9 match up with the B3?

Also, what would the advantage of a specifically "Bass" effect unit over a guitar one?

Edit: I'm listening to Victor Wooten talk about the B3, and it's making me want that one. BECAUSE VICTOR WOOTEN WANTS ME TO HAVE IT. How can I say no to that man?
  12. bassbrad

bassbrad

Guitar specific units because guitar is more mid range oriented often loose some lows and highs. The effects are in some cases voiced a bit differently between bass and guitar specific units but either will work. I use a B2/B2.1u most of the time but there are some sounds i can only cop in my G1x, particularly more vintage sounding phase, chorus and flange- the distortions are voiced and respond differently.

As cool as the B3 looks [some of the sounds and models look very promising] like you I want an expression/control pedal and really want a B5 or something similar although the MS-50B looks promising but it's not out until next year but it does not support an expression pedal.
  13. Ezmar

Ezmar

Well, if I can get an expression pedal for the B3, that's looking pretty sweet. I'm still not sure about that one Vs the B9.1ut, though. Mostly what I'd want is flexibility in effect application, variety of sounds, and I'd also like a nice looper in there as well. I know the B3 has a looper, but I can't imagine that the B9.1ut has NO looper. Either way, I think I'll probably get the B3, since it's more convenient, and probably just as sufficient. Also as I mentioned before, Victor Wooten told me to get it.
  14. Inconnu

Inconnu

Best bass multi effect IMO = multiple pedals carefully chose by you over the years... But that's just me... or is it?
  15. Ezmar

Ezmar

In terms of sound quality, I'd agree. But I'm not a huge effects guy, so that's not something I'm willing to put a lot of money into. It's much more my style to have hundreds of flavors in a single box. That and I'm Wholly impressed with Zoom. I'd hardly know it's digital.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well then get a B9.1ut.
  17. wilfred

wilfred

How is the Zoom B2 Bass Multi Effects Pedal, anyone have one?
  18. Sundogue

Sundogue

I love my Zoom B2. It is MY sound (whichever sound it is that I'm wanting) into any amp/cab. My favorite ones I use (that I created by tweaking stock settings) are the Sansamp BDDI for a great, clean tone and the Zoom Tube Pre gives me almost a perfect all tube amp tone (with two settings I made...one for a "clean" tube amp channel, and one for more of a natural overdriven tube amp channel). Just a killer multi-effects unit for me.

I use it more for amp/cab modeling than for the effects, although I use a few effects with it too. It has an EXCELLENT built in tuner that tracks the notes well, even the low B.

I hated the footswitch buttons on it though. Hard to press both simultaneously to get to the tuner. But since I didn't really need it as a stompbox and prefer to just switch my custom presets between songs (never during), I mounted as a rackmount unit in my rack and kept the heavy duty spring loaded footswitches off so the buttons underneath are easily pressed. The top unit holds my Zoom B2 along with my wireless receiver...

[​IMG]
  19. Swift713

Swift713

The B3 sounds a little better than the B2. The amp models are a little more in depth, there are more parameters, but the B2 is pretty good.
  20. wabbit

wabbit

AxeFX II but it's gonna cost ya. :smug:
  21. jamesclark

jamesclark

dude, zoom is your god. LOL. just kidding, well I see hear you know about boss. look at the baringer line of pedals to. also danelectro pedals as well. I only own a zoom b1x pedal but I figured I could help you out buy saying those as well. take care man.

peace.